Skip to main content

Nexus Integration Team and Participating in Sprint Events

Last post 07:16 am June 10, 2020 by Mohamed Hesham Jurangpathy
3 replies
04:13 pm June 6, 2020

Hi all,

Hoping I can get some guidance into the functions of the Nexus Integration Team (NIT) with regards to their participation in Nexus Daily Scrum, Nexus Sprint Planning, and Nexus Retrospective. 

After going through the Nexus guide, I am getting the understanding that the NIT is more of a  team that actively coaches, consults, and collaborates in being accountable to deliver a combined product increment than having to participate actively in the above Nexus Sprint events. The above Nexus Sprint Events can be attended by "... by appropriate representatives from individual Development Teams." Does the Scrum Master of the NIT then need to be make sure the above Nexus Scrum events take place? This has not been definitely called out in the Nexus guide.

I am also getting the understanding that apart from the PO, the other NIT members DO NOT have to be active participants in any of the individual Scrum teams delivering the increments working of the single product backlog. This is going off the below line in the Nexus Framework:

"If their primary responsibility is satisfied, Nexus Integration Team Members may also work as Development Team members in one or more Scrum Teams."

So apart from the PO (and the Scrum Master to an extent) the NIT literally can be a group of technical leads (i.e. Senior/ Lead Developers) who are there to guide the integrated development effort of the Nexus WITHOUT EVER having to actively participate in any of Nexus Sprint events? Is this correct?

The only other role I understand the NIT provides in ensuring transparency of artifacts to all Scrum teams within a Nexus and also defining a shared "Definition of Done."

People with more knowledge and expertise than me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

09:14 am June 9, 2020

Nexus Integration Team Members

The Nexus Integration Team consists of professionals who are skilled in the use of tools, various practices, and the general field of systems engineering. Nexus Integration Team Members ensure the Scrum Teams within the Nexus understand and implement the practices and tools needed to detect dependencies, and frequently integrate all artifacts to the definition of “Done.” Nexus Integration Team Members are responsible for coaching and guiding the Scrum Teams in a Nexus to acquire, implement, and learn these practices and tools.

Additionally, the Nexus Integration Team coaches the individual Scrum Teams on the necessary development, infrastructural, or architectural standards required by the organization to ensure the development of quality Integrated Increments.

If their primary responsibility is satisfied, Nexus Integration Team Members may also work as Development Team members in one or more Scrum Teams.

Nexus Integration Team Members may also work as Development Team members in one or more Scrum Teams.

——NIT members can  from the team, who will join the NIT is determined by the team, not necessarily Senior/ Lead Developers

The statement "WITHOUT EVER having to actively participate in any of Nexus Sprint events" has no basis.

09:51 am June 9, 2020

Think of them as integration health care professionals. They provide integration assurance for each product increment. Should they have to step in, figure out why.

10:38 am June 9, 2020

I put this question just before sitting the SPS certification as I found the role of the NIT in Nexus Sprint events not entirely clear in the Nexus Guide.

I thankfully passed with ease (I also did not come across a question in the exam that alluded to what I was outlining above), but I think this is something that probably needs to be explicitly addressed in future editions of the Nexus Guide - what is the role of the NIT in Nexus Sprint Events (if there is a requirement for the NIT to attend, if they do then which ones the NIT need to attend, what their role is in attending, etc.). I understand their role in being accountable for the integration for each sprint and their role in providing guidance, coaching, etc. as well.

It is whether the NIT need to be actively attending Nexus Sprint Events from a inspection and adaption perspective which I think needs to be explained with greater clarity. I am assuming to provide assurance of the integration for each sprint, the NIT need to be actively participating (or attending) Nexus Sprint events.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.