Skip to main content

Pre Execution Phases - SCRUM approach

Last post 04:05 am July 20, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
07:51 am July 18, 2020

Good morning folks - first time poster here!

I'm in the process of writing a dissertation and my proposed topic is to evaluate use of SCRUM versus traditional planning methodologies in Oil & Gas Projects. My current problem is that i cannot find a huge amount of literature on SCRUM approach to planning aside from the plethora of information on Sprint Planning.

I'm aiming to look at what typical oil and gas projects require from a planning stand point to get to FID / Approval status

Could anyone point me in the direction of literature / guidance etc

much appreciated

11:39 pm July 19, 2020

Steve, you should talk to some of the Oil and Gas companies as many use Scrum and Agile techniques in their entire process. Here are few examples.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markvenables/2019/01/31/change-of-culture-reaps-rewards-for-bps-digital-transformation/#5041a7476199

https://thenewstack.io/shell-gives-new-meaning-devops-agile-scale/

12:41 am July 20, 2020

What you refer to as planning might be more comparable with "refinement", as defined in the Scrum Guide.

I'd particularly like to highlight the following paragraphs:

Product Backlog refinement is the act of adding detail, estimates, and order to items in the Product Backlog. This is an ongoing process in which the Product Owner and the Development Team collaborate on the details of Product Backlog items. During Product Backlog refinement, items are reviewed and revised. The Scrum Team decides how and when refinement is done. Refinement usually consumes no more than 10% of the capacity of the Development Team. However, Product Backlog items can be updated at any time by the Product Owner or at the Product Owner’s discretion.

Higher ordered Product Backlog items are usually clearer and more detailed than lower ordered ones. More precise estimates are made based on the greater clarity and increased detail; the lower the order, the less detail. Product Backlog items that will occupy the Development Team for the upcoming Sprint are refined so that any one item can reasonably be "Done" within the Sprint time-box. Product Backlog items that can be "Done" by the Development Team within one Sprint are deemed "Ready" for selection in a Sprint Planning. Product Backlog items usually acquire this degree of transparency through the above described refining activities.

I would also suggest reading the entire Scrum Guide (it's less than 6000 words), with particular focus on the part about Scrum Theory (because empiricism is at the heart of Scrum), and the section on the Product Backlog (which I partially quoted above).

Then instead of searching for "planning", you can also try "refinement" or "grooming" (the equivalent word, which was used in older versions of the Scrum Guide)

04:05 am July 20, 2020

I'm aiming to look at what typical oil and gas projects require from a planning stand point to get to FID / Approval status

My advice is to focus on risk mitigation. For example there may be a need for collaboration between multiple partners in new O&G developments.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.