Skip to main content

Kanban Templates

Last post 08:33 am August 26, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
4 replies
10:05 am August 25, 2020

Hello : )

I'm looking for a free to use Kanban board template, that can be stored in a shared drive. So something like an Excel spreadsheet or something similar.

I know there are better tools such as Trello, but I'm working with a lot of non technical people and something more simple would help them to begin with.

10:27 am August 25, 2020

If you have Office 365, take a look at MS Planner. Accessible via Office 365 online and in MS Teams.

Easy tool to create and move tasks. Not including WIP limits, but everyone should be able to understand it easily and you do not have to register anywhere. 

11:08 am August 25, 2020

I fail to see why would be Trello more difficult for non-technical people than any other tool. Not to mention a shared drive. If the problem with Trello is saving your business data to an Atlassian server, there are opensource alternatives even in PHP.

If you insist on using Excel, that can be done, though it will be much less intuitive. You can use the good old status column with a defined set of values, and write a macro to ensure the WIP cannot go above the limits.

07:51 am August 26, 2020

@Tim - thank you, I will check it out :)

@Sean - Maybe "technical" was the wrong word. Behavioral would probably be a better word. Something Like Excel would be a gentle introduction to a new way of working. Once they're comfortable with using a Kanban board I would then want to move it to Trello or something similar.

I just know if I put it on Trello now, I would be against too much resistance to change :)

08:33 am August 26, 2020

I just know if I put it on Trello now, I would be against too much resistance to change :)

Part of a Scrum Master's job is creating bounded environments for accountability and change. Why not encourage people to jointly make a choice from options you have identified, and then to inspect and adapt their choice at an early opportunity?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.