Skip to main content

PSM I difficult for non-IT folks?

Last post 10:21 am December 4, 2020 by Dennis Krügel
7 replies
09:42 am November 16, 2020

Hello dear community,

I am preparing for the PSM I exam and I wonder if there are any other community members who are not working in an IT-related field and have taken this exam. Was it difficult for you? If yes, what made it difficult for you?

About me: I am a marketing professional and in my daily work I am not confronted with the typical software developer environment (tools, practices, concepts, mindset and even human language). I want to take the PSM I exam because our marketing department is trying to introduce agile practices (huge learning curve ahead) and the certificate might help me in my career prospects in the midst of this envisioned transformation.

11:53 am November 17, 2020

If you read the start of the Scrum Guide, it states that Scrum isn't just for IT/SW development. It can be used in all kinds of situations.

Whether or not the test is difficult depends on how much effort you're willing to put into studying and doing open assessments.

06:49 pm November 17, 2020

Hi Dennis

As stated in the Scrum Guide- "Scrum is a framework for developing, delivering, and sustaining complex products" so it's not only for IT folks. It can be applied anywhere where complex products are created. In fact, "IT" is not mentioned anywhere in the Scrum Guide :)

Agile is (not only) about maximizing product value through experimentation (to choose the best approach or strategy), iterative delivery and collecting feedback as often as possible to adapt (so that you're focusing on the delivery of valuable features/components and not wasting time on things that bring very little or no business value) - all of this to increase customer satisfaction, which is considered to be the primary goal for Agile teams.

Has anyone (Agile Leader, Manager, Department Director, etc.) communicated with you and other teams in the marketing department why they want to introduce Agile practices? Have they shared what benefits such transformation would bring? What do they want to achieve? Have they discussed their vision with you? Having answers to those questions would help you answer whether you need the PSM certification (once you're at least familiar with the Scrum Guide though). I've used Lean and Agile tools and techniques without any certification for many years, but I must agree that it's becoming more and more important to differentiate yourself nowadays.

In my opinion, it will be best if you read the Scrum Guide several times and think if there's anything you could apply at UBS. If there is, I would recommend going through the Scrum Master Learning Path and suggested reading here at Scrum.org before giving a shot at the PSM I assessment. You might want to attend the Scrum Master training as well. I've worked in Agile environments for several years already, so I'm not the best person to answer whether PSM I would be difficult for you or not. Generally speaking - it seems difficult due to the number of questions and short(-ish) timebox.

Also, remember that "Scrum is always Agile, but Agile is not always Scrum

Best,

Robert

01:34 am November 18, 2020

I would encourage you to study for it and give it a try, it is absolutely possible for people outside of IT to pass the PSM. I have run a PSM course for just marketing people, and all of the students passed the PSM. There were a few concepts such as Technical Debt that they were not familiar with, but they understood the metaphor. You won't get any IT Tooling questions on the PSM. 

A common question asked by students is 'Does the Scrum Master have to be technical?". The answer is no. It can of course be helpful but also impact a team from self-organizing of the Scrum Master solves the solution for the team rather than facilitating or coaching.

There are some blogs on Agile Marketing from Yuval, one of the PSTs: https://www.agilesparks.com/agile-services/agile-marketing/

Besides the Scrum Guide, there is the Learning Path mentioned above. And the Scrum Open is valuable.

Good luck and Scrum on!

02:28 pm November 18, 2020

PSM I difficult for non-IT folks - No

Scrum is not a project management methodology. It is a social engineering framework designed to make your team more effective. Scrum isn't for every project. Although Scrum has its origins in software development, it's been used to successfully manage many types of projects. 

Ref: 

https://deviniti.com/agile-devops/agile-scrum-non-software/

https://www.scrum.org/forum/scrum-forum/32661/scrum-only-designed-software-development-projects

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-scrum-just-software-development-eugene-yap

08:00 pm November 18, 2020

Hi Dennis, I'm in IT but not a developer. Scrum is a framework that can and is used by any industry.  I wrote both the PSM I and II a few months ago and can't remember anything specific to IT.  It's a challenging exam but as long as you follow the recommended material on this site you should be fine.    Good Luck

05:57 am November 24, 2020

I belong to Mechanical background. And no it is not tough. Just grasp the guide well and practice a lot. All the details are already mentioned in other comments. I commented to increase your morale that "Yes, a non-IT person can too" :)

10:21 am December 4, 2020

Thanks for your input. 

Meanwhile I have passed the PSM I exam with an astonishing score of 97.5%. That sounds as if it was easy-peasy, but it was not for me. The exam was a bit more challenging than I have expected:

- Some of the questions I got were about specific situations in a software development team. (Yes, the word software was in the question).

- On 15 questions I rather made an informed guess instead of being confident about my choice. All that despite having taken a preparation course, dozens of attempts on the Open assessment and Mikhail Lapshins' mock exam and reading and understanding the Scrum guide.

- I felt that some of the questions were not answered in the Scrum Guide.

Even though Scrum is always called a framework, it feels to me to be a methodology which can only be altered in the details. 

The PSM I is a good foundation for me to simply understand Scrum in its ideal setup. I took it to expand my knowledge about agile philosophies and practices. As next step I rather focus on the learning environment around Agile Marketing certifications (such as ICAgile). Whether I will attempt to get these specific Agile Marketing certifications as well depends on their reputation and usefulness in the countries I am willing to work in.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.