Skip to main content

PAL-EBM : Bridging the gap between Portfolio Management and Business agility using EBM

Last post 03:01 pm December 18, 2020 by Sanjay Singh Rawat
3 replies
08:16 am December 16, 2020

After learning and working in several years in portfolio management, I always wonder and eager to try out different ways in which we can apply empirical, lean and agile principles in current ways of managing portfolios and see how we are making best out of current investments at the same time having a line of sight on pursuing business benefits and overall business strategy and there by keep moving one step closer towards business agility. 

its a long journey and not going to happen in one sprint or overnight. 

hence its all about setting goal, run experiment and validate your hypothesis. Inspect and then adapt. 

if this sounds something similar then I would recommend to try out PAL-EBM (that has been released almost a week back) and validate your hypothesis. you are going to have fun with full of learnings. 

I found this thought provoking and learned different approach to think-through on achieving business agility by investing on what really matters (i.e. outcomes driven initiatives)

About Assessment 

• This is going to be 1 hour test.
  • Pass Mark - 85%.
  • Total question - 40
  • Click here for more details.

For Preparation -

• Read EBM Guide - click here - I would recommend to take a read and make your own notes for better understanding.
  • Read Investing for Business Agility ( White Paper) - I found this very useful.
  • Try free assessment on EBM - read the feedback shared at the end for all the question (right and wrong questions) - click here for link
  • Understand close relationship between all KVA's
  • Understand EBM-PM and think through from practical perspective and visualize how this can be applied to achieve business outcomes.
  • Understand Innovation Investment Cycle - Try to visualize how you can apply in real life. this will open up many questions for you to self-understand.
  • Understand outcome based roadmap
  • Click here for more details. (Suggested Resources as advised by Scrum.org) - There are amazing blogs and webinar listed here. Big thanks to Mark Noneman , Patricia Kong and Todd Miller for sharing great insights.
  • Most Important - your practical experience that you have gained over period of time will play equally important role here in this journey.

In an nutshell - You have to take a Leadership-hat or someone from Portfolio Management team or as an Agile Leader who is able to take decision if your collective investment decision is able to give the outcomes/impact to your customers that you/your company is aspiring and there by taking one step closer towards achieving your overall business strategy.

And how do you do all of these ? - by practicing empiricism, running experiments and keep validating your hypothesis. Inspect the results and adapt your goals (if required).

So the question for you is - Are you investing for Business Agility ?

--

Please note that these tips doesn't guarantee your achievement as these are personal to me while I was preparing and worked for me. 

These tips are from my point of view as Professional Agile Leader and I have been practicing EBM from quite some time now. (4 KVA's)

I hope these tips may help for PAL-EBM aspirants. 

Please feel free and leave a message if you have any question. Will be happy to serve the community. 

Also, Kindly share below what has worked for you so that other aspirant can also be benefited. 

10:01 pm December 16, 2020

Nice information, will study this as well when I go for the certificate.

little question left: i know there is a huge gap between the PAL-I open assesment and the real exam. Is this the same for the PAL-EBM or are they closer to each other? Because that can give me then a good insight if I’m ready to take on the exam

02:22 am December 18, 2020

In my opinion, they are not close to one another.  The open is a good place to start, but you will have to follow the recommended path on scrum.org if you want to ensure success.

03:06 am December 18, 2020

Its a good question and I agree with Rebecca's comment. test-assessment covers just small portion of assessing your knowledge on EBM guide. their are many concepts in EBM which are not covered in test-assessment. so you need to have a look on all those concepts with the one/two step deeper level analysis and yes, do go thru "suggested resources" because they will give lot of ideas. 

but I would say start with EBM first and give 1-2 reads.

All the best !!  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.