Skip to main content

Becoming a SM, advice

Last post 10:34 am January 24, 2021 by Nicola Ballerini
4 replies
02:59 pm January 23, 2021

Hi everyone.

First of all thanks for taking the time to read this. 

I'm a project coordinator and i'm trying to transition for a SM role.

I'm not in IT but i have some experience on the field because i kinda cover a bit of everything in my firm (<50 people) from data related project, to "oh my pc is broken"

But...

i'm struggling with experience in Software development, and actual work experience on the field.

So, i just wonder if offering myself as a volunteer to help organizations with scrum is the right thing to do to gain experience...

thanks again

10:39 pm January 23, 2021

What is stopping you from being a Scrum Master in your current job, right now?

08:46 am January 24, 2021

Hello Ian, thank you for your reply.

My management is not really interested in any change of direction in the organization.

09:28 am January 24, 2021

My management is not really interested in any change of direction in the organization.

In my experience the same situation is faced by the vast majority of Scrum Masters. You are not behind, on the contrary, you have just found yourself at the sharp end.

10:34 am January 24, 2021

thank you Ian for your support.

i will apply for everything and see how it goes

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.