Skip to main content

Managing Individual Performance Appraisal in Agile Projects

Last post 11:18 pm February 16, 2021 by Mark Adams
3 replies
02:54 am February 16, 2021

Hello Fellow Agile Practioners,

Has any one of you experienced managing individual performance appraisals for team working in a project using agile development approach?

If yes, how different was it from traditional way of working since the focus is more on team work instead of individual share. I can surely think it would need an organizational shift (in the way performance appraisals are conducted) but it may not be the case often...so what did you do different to manage the situation, setting the right goals and expectations? How did the team react to the change, especially the star performers who are used to running the show?

Would love to hear your experience, suggestions or thoughts on it. Thanks.

06:32 am February 16, 2021

What constraints does the organization face which inhibit agile practice? For example, are there enough people with all of the competencies needed to finish work of immediate release quality, every Sprint and in every team?

When it comes to the appraising of individual performance, why not reward those who help the organization to overcome such constraints?

02:52 pm February 16, 2021

Thanks Ian. Yes, I agree that the focus should change from individual showcase to team improvement.

What I wanted to learn was how is it being managed in real life projects? What best practices are followed that has worked to keep the team spirit high, keeping the agile values in tact?

Best Regards.

11:18 pm February 16, 2021

I've seen rewards, lunches and gift cards being given to teams who delivered a significant amount of work (value?) in a critical Sprint or two. However, I support bonuses and commissions on an individual level because there are too many people out there who take advantage of the team structure to be less productive than others on the team.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.