Skip to main content

Scrum team and Stakeholders

Last post 11:46 am February 20, 2021 by VIJAYAKUMAR KARUNAMOORTHY
5 replies
05:59 pm February 18, 2021

Hi Team,

I wanted to understand how scrum team work with stakeholders.Few of my queries below?

1.Scrum team interacts with stakeholders when required, but are they constrained when they can "meet "with them?Does meeting stakeholders happen during Sprint review only?

2.Can development team go up to the stakeholders directly and meet them to resolve any questions?Or they need to go via or inform PO before doing so?I do understand they can interact with stakeholders whenever they want but am little confused on this "Meeting with them directly" procedure.How does this meeting stuff work?

06:09 pm February 18, 2021

Scrum is minimally prescriptive and there is no constraint regarding when team members can work with stakeholders; rather, ongoing collaboration with them is encouraged.

Stakeholders, for their part, should take care not to interrupt Developers during the Sprint. 

08:15 pm February 18, 2021

The sprint review is the formal event where the scrum team collaborates with stakeholders; however, there is nothing stopping the developers from contacting stakeholders when clarity is required at any time during the sprint, in fact it is encouraged for them to do so.

09:35 pm February 18, 2021

Thanks for the clarification.I have one doubt does”Meeting” and “ Interacting” means the same when it comes to scrum team and stakeholders ? What i have in my mind is that meeting means having a face to face conversation and interacting is you can either talk in message or on phone.Both serves the same purpose but is it anything different with reference to scrum guide?

Please let me know if my thinking is correct?

07:54 am February 19, 2021

As stakeholders are busy, the scrum team member will most likely have to schedule a meeting with them.  The method used for that meeting can vary, although face to face is obviously the best one.

11:46 am February 20, 2021

[1] Now most of the staff working remotely so various tools (Skype, Microsoft Teams with sharing and collaborating [Drawings, etc.] ) are available to reach stakeholders. Even better to create a discussion and include relevant parties with PO and the clarifications can be done.

[2] It is always better keep the PO in loop in communication

[3] But if the environment is friendly then the scrum team can directly interact with stakeholders in moderation

Thanks.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.