Skip to main content

Help! How to introduce senior stakeholders to agile

Last post 01:27 am March 6, 2021 by Mark Adams
5 replies
06:46 pm March 3, 2021

Hi all

really need some help?

Can anyone provide a (hopefully detailed) outline of how would you introduce agile to senior stakeholders who have never encountered it before?

09:12 pm March 4, 2021

Will you be meeting with those senior stakeholders yourself? If so, do you have a clear idea of the outcome that is needed from this introduction?

04:59 pm March 5, 2021

I introduce it to people of all levels in the same way.  Present it as a way to incrementally deliver value to the company and stakeholders in such a manner that the results are what is needed at the time the results are delivered.  If they are familiar with waterfall, show how agile can prevent the waste of building something for extended periods of time only to have the users say that it no longer fits their needs.  Show how being able to quickly adapt to changes will ensure that money spent will be on what will improve your product's position in the current marketplace and not the marketplace as it existed months ago. 

Use examples from your current company. Find times where changes in the product environment required additional expenditure and made past work unnecessary.  Find case studies that show how other companies have used agile to adapt and bonus points if it is a competitor.  

Help them understand the mindset of applying empiricism to the business process.  Read the Evidence Based Management Guide and share it with them. 

The principals of agile are not just for software development. They are for organizations.  For example Kanban originated at Toyota to improve manufacturing processes.  Being agile is something that benefits an entire organization not just some parts. 

09:14 pm March 5, 2021

@ianmitchell thanks for your response. yes I will be. I'd like to give them an understanding. they no nothing about agile but we are currently transitioning and I'm a scrum master so have been asked to give them an intro

10:03 pm March 5, 2021

they no nothing about agile but we are currently transitioning

If senior stakeholders know nothing about agile practice, where does sponsorship for this transition come from? Do you have a clear idea of the actual outcome that is expected from giving them an introduction?

01:27 am March 6, 2021

I don't know your background but you should ask a professional trainer from one of the major agile certification bodies (like this one) to come in and hold some training workshops for leadership. And the approach shouldn't be a one and done. The trainers should return periodically to observe and report on the health of agile in the company.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.