Skip to main content

Quality Assurance for Features

Last post 11:17 am April 30, 2021 by BHAVIN RANA
4 replies
10:54 am April 26, 2021

Hi guys, I am new to Scrum and I want to become a Scrum Master. Now I have some tasks in my company to describe Features. But I am wondering if this is really a task for a Scrum Master or for the Product Owner. But anyway I was asking myself if you have experience with Quality Assurance for Features, is there any documentation for it specific for Features. In the web I found a lot about Quality Assurance but not specific for Features. Maybe you have an example or a documentation, tutorial whatever. I would be thankful for any help.

thx

05:21 pm April 26, 2021

The SM could in theory create PBIs if the PO has delegated that responsibility to the SM; however, the SM may be too busy to do this as they not only server the PO, but the Developers and organisation too. 

Quality should be part of the Definition of Done (DoD) and should never decrease during the sprint.  The Scrum Team should agree on the DoD. 

06:47 pm April 26, 2021

Now I have some tasks in my company to describe Features. But I am wondering if this is really a task for a Scrum Master or for the Product Owner.

Let's take a step back. What is it about this work that makes it appropriate for Scrum at all?

08:21 pm April 26, 2021

Based on this post and another post you have done in the forum, I'm going to start the response to this by saying you need to read and understand the Scrum Guide. That should be your first step towards becoming a Scrum Master.  Mastery of the meaning of the guide and not the actual words is what you want to achieve. 

Now I have some tasks in my company to describe Features. But I am wondering if this is really a task for a Scrum Master or for the Product Owner.

Here is the link to the Scrum Guides section that describes the Product Owner and the Scrum Master is the next section. https://scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html#product-owner   My understanding based on those sections is that describing a new feature is the responsibility of the Product Owner.  That individual could delegate that work to anyone else but ultimately they retain the responsibility. 

I was asking myself if you have experience with Quality Assurance for Features

I have many years with this as a Quality Assurance representative that overlaps with my Scrum and agile experience. But I am not sure with what you are asking us for help.  There are a LOT of aspects of Quality Assurance but the fact you are asking about it here in a Scrum Forum after talking about getting "some tasks ... to describe Features" is confusing me.  Can you clarify this so I can give you a better opinion? 

11:17 am April 30, 2021

Hello,

Let me explain in a simple term.

In scrum, there are separate roles and responsibilities. 

Scrum Master can teach to PO about

- how to do verticle slicing of features ( so it can be delivered in a sprint or few sprints) , 

- how to prioritize features using diff. models like KANO, MoSCoW etc.

- How to write user stories in the best format. 

- How to write acceptance criteria etc.

So, SM is a scrum expert & PO is a product domain expert. he is the voice of the customer. He knows very well how t describe features. But if you will give some tasks to describe features to SM then he may skip some important information in the description. 

So, in our organization also conflicts occur for accountability, roles and responsibility and we are managing collaboratively. But in your scenario, we can't mix up PO and SM tasks. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.