Skip to main content

From English Teacher to Scrum Master - CV help

Last post 08:41 pm January 21, 2022 by Lindsey Kavallar
6 replies
12:32 am June 7, 2021

Hello,

I just passed the PSM I and I'm now planning to change career from English Teacher to Scrum Master. I'm from the UK but I live in Colombia and work at a tech company here, teaching English to the software developers. I've asked my company for some kind of training or transition into a Scrum Master role but they said now's not a good time for them to train me due to a company restructure they're going through (they said maybe next year but no guarantees so I'm looking elsewhere).

I have no technical experience apart from a few months studying code last year.

I'm planning to promote my transferable skills in any upcoming SM interviews (fingers crossed I actually get an interview!) but I want to make sure that my CV is the best it can be to get my foot in the door. 

I would be so grateful if any experienced Scrum Masters/Hiring managers etc. took a quick look at my CV to tell me if there's anything I can do to improve it. 

Here's a link to it. - go ahead, be brutal!

Huge thanks in advance!

08:01 pm June 7, 2021

Thanks for sharing my post! I've actually just made a few changes to my CV. Please see the updated version here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t-2qDnTk5n8JTiK5e_twAKilsTOKJZ-Z/view?…;

08:22 pm June 7, 2021

As an ex-teacher myself, I made this exact transition a fair few years ago. If you want to connect on LinkedIn, we can have a further chat if you’d like?

in general, I approached it much like I’d coach a PM about their skills and traits that could help a Scrum Team. There are skills you will want to emphasise (empathy, communication and facilitation)- I found the transition to be quite fluid as there are so many cross functional skills between teaching and Scrum Mastery.

10:19 pm June 7, 2021

Thanks Ryan! You have no idea how encouraging it is to hear that. I've just send you a message on LinkedIn

10:59 pm June 9, 2021

Good luck. If this works out for you, great. If not, also consider a career in Corporate Communications, HR, OCM, OD, Coaching (NOT "agile coaching") or Training. I've met both teachers and PhDs in all of these careers.

10:13 pm December 31, 2021

Hello, 

Looking for some helpful advice here. I am an English teacher looking to transition out of the classroom after 16 plus years. I know my first step is to get the certification. Any other advice to help me with this transition? Thank you in advance. 

06:07 pm January 21, 2022

Hello, I am also looking for some advice about the transition from a biomedical science teacher in k-12 public education to a Scrum master. I have already received my certification. I am looking for any advice with resumes, cover letters, and interviewing.

Thank you in advance.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.