Skip to main content

Tips on learning this very specific subjects that are not in the scrum guide.

Last post 03:31 pm July 15, 2021 by Daniel Wilhite
4 replies
03:01 am July 15, 2021

I am still unable to pass the PSM 1. I am getting better and better. But now I’m stuck in these areas.

• Product Backlog Management
  • Forecasting and Release Planning
  • Stakeholders & Customers

Please let me know where I can test and learn on these subjects, also please do not push me to the recommended readings. Most of them are outdated and are self-promoting to the authors. This has been theming the last 4 years on my odyssey on passing your certification.

04:59 am July 15, 2021

We can test and learn right here if you like. Criticize and discuss the following statement:

"A good Product Backlog is a schedule of work used to forecast when a customer will be fed with a release"

06:50 am July 15, 2021

Have you gone through the SM learning path as it covers your problem areas? 

Scrum.org_SM_LearningPath\Managing Products with Agility\Product Backlog Management

Scrum.org_SM_LearningPath\Managing Products with Agility\Forecasting and Release Planning

Although it is the PO & PAL learning paths that have a 'Stakeholders and Customers' section, if you search this site for blogs pertaining to stakeholders, you will find enough information to help you pass the exam. 

03:28 pm July 15, 2021

I would suggest a class if you really want to learn the subject and how to apply it. The Scrum.org training classes don't just teach Scrum, they are highly activity based hands on places to learn while doing so that you can apply the results in the real world. If you only focus on the test, you don't bring that experience, I suggest you look at improving your knowledge and understanding at the same time.

Other options are look at the Prepare for the Assessment section here: https://www.scrum.org/professional-scrum-master-i-certification

Sample tests don't teach you much more than right and wrong answers, but classes and educational resources teach you how to think and apply.

Also based on your test results please make sure that you know the Scrum Guide very well. I am seeing incorrect answers that are almost word-for-word out of the Scrum Guide.

I hope this is helpful. 

03:31 pm July 15, 2021

One thing that helped me was to look at the problem space and try to understand why it was important.  Then I would rephrase the problem and search for material on that. To this day I continue to do that to learn more.  For example

• Product Backlog Management

The Scrum Guide says that the Scrum Master is responsible to the Product Owner in

Helping find techniques for effective Product Goal definition and Product Backlog management;

In my mind there are a few key words: "Helping", "Goal definition", "Backlog management"

Knowing that the Product Backlog is a single source of information about all things that need to be done in order to improve/maintain the product, I focused on understanding how to capture information of that nature.  After I started to understand how that information is captured, I focused on learning how the empirical nature of Scrum could be used to order items so that the most valuable are nearer the top. Part of that is learning the difference between order and prioritize.  There could be a feature that is the highest priority to deliver but other things might be ordered higher because of quick wins or dependencies. 

After learning that I started exploring how goals can be useful for more than just setting a target.  Goals can also be used as a data point in the ordering activity. They can be used as an element of risk assessment.  There are many uses.  Learning them helped me understand more of how they can be effective in managing the Product Backlog.

I hope you get the idea.  Don't focus on a single 3-4 word statement. Focus on the words, the intent of the words, the intent of the exercise.  Learn the meaning and use as it applies to the Scrum framework and to a company's ability to inspect and adapt as new information is learned. 

The PSM exams do not focus on rote learnings. They want you to apply your understanding to the questions. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.