Skip to main content

Healthcare Scrum Master

Last post 09:09 am January 3, 2023 by Edith Akumah
4 replies
08:58 am December 14, 2021

For those of you that have experience working as a Scrum master in the healthcare setting, what kind of projects do you generally work on. How long do the sprints usually last? Any input is much appreciated!

08:38 pm December 14, 2021

My wife works in healthcare but not as a Scrum Master.  But I have talked to her a lot about "projects" that she works on.  I have heard some where a Scrum approach could be useful but it would be difficult to implement.  I have heard more daily activities that could benefit from some empirical approach than projects. 

Remember that the Scrum framework is not a project management solution.  It is an empirical value delivery framework. So if you were a Scrum Master in a healthcare setting, what kind of value delivery would you see as being able to benefit from the empirical, incremental approach of Scrum?

08:55 pm December 14, 2021

For those of you that have experience working as a Scrum master in the healthcare setting, what kind of projects do you generally work on. How long do the sprints usually last?

In Scrum each Sprint is a project: a temporary endeavor that yields a valuable outcome. Specifically, there must be a Done increment that meets a Sprint Goal.

There is often an organizational gravity to be overcome before this practice can be achieved. Hence, rather than ask how long Sprints usually last in a certain context, it can be better to first query if they are real.

08:58 am December 15, 2021

Hi, I work as a scrum master and agile coach at a local hospital. Currently we have 6 scrum teams. All teams are part of the IT department. We have infrastructure teams, BI teams and teams working on the functional side of the "patient journey" Most teams are working in 2 or 4 week sprints. At the end we are doing a sprint review of all the teams together. Every team has a dedicated PO, and the business provides them with the right information via the business owners. Every quarter we do a planning session with the PO and BO's to plan the next quarter.

Hope that this givers you some info. Let me know if you want more!

10:12 pm December 31, 2022

@Andre Deuzing, please if you can still see this message, i need your help with knowing how this process you described works. I am a scrum master in health care ,with a background in nursing mostly did that in Africa, and realized it was different here. Thanks

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.