Skip to main content

question about releasing increments

Last post 07:45 pm March 7, 2021 by Scott Anthony Keatinge
7 replies
07:49 am June 16, 2013

Question from the open assessment:
It is important that the product increment be released to production or shipped to customers at the end of each Sprint?
correct answer according to scrum.org: no

I don't agree here. I know that it is not mandatory for Scrum to release each increment, but if it is not 'important' than why did you build it? Increments should be of value to the customer/business, and they have no value as long as they are not released to production.

The question, imho, should be:
It is mandatory that the product increment be released to production or shipped to customers at the end of each Sprint?

or

It is important for the Scrum proces that the product increment be released to production or shipped to customers at the end of each Sprint

02:38 pm June 16, 2013

(Not speaking for Scrum.org here)

I think the crux of the question is so that Scrum implementers understand the difference between "the increment must be releas*able*" vs. "the increment must be releas*ed*". A side effect of this is, hopefully, the understanding that the actual release of the increment is a business decision, not a development one.

Also note that the "potentially releasable" thing is a quality standard via the DoD.

04:11 pm June 16, 2013

I agree, so another way to improve the question could be: "If you're not releasing your increment to production at the end of the sprint, are you still doing Scrum?" (answer: yes)

07:01 pm June 27, 2013

@Thorin
I agree with you.
Now your rephrased question made lots of sense.
Most of the open assessment questions seem to have lots of noise.
Scrum org should also consider testing the scrum knowledge rather than then linguistic skills.

04:01 pm July 2, 2013

Conversation shows we know what it's about. The question, indeed, does not reflect that entirely. It has been updated! Thanks for the notice.

10:49 am July 11, 2013

Understanding the question is the most important when it comes to test.

06:38 pm March 7, 2021

So in the update of scrum 2021, the answer still no? the devlopment team doesn't need to release an increment at the end of each sprint?

07:45 pm March 7, 2021

From the 2020 scrum guide: 

Multiple Increments may be created within a Sprint. The sum of the Increments is presented at the Sprint Review thus supporting empiricism. However, an Increment may be delivered to stakeholders prior to the end of the Sprint. The Sprint Review should never be considered a gate to releasing value.

It is up to the PO is they release that potentially releasable increment or not.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.