Skip to main content

Can a Scrum Master be effective when working mostly remotely?

Last post 09:20 pm January 12, 2022 by Ian Mitchell
4 replies
03:19 pm January 10, 2022

How can you manage everyday work, retro, and sprint planning?

Or perhaps you have noticed your team is more productive and achieves better results when working remotely?

10:00 pm January 10, 2022

First I want to point out that a Scrum Master does nothing to manage everyday work other than their own.  

Second, I have worked remotely as a Scrum Master that was remote from my team.  It is a bit more difficult but it can be done.  I did all my communication via email, phone, instant messaging with an occasional video meeting.  The Developers and Product Owner were all co-located in a different country. I was doing this as a short-term assignment while a decision was being made on whether to relocate the team or keep them remote. I was still able to concentrate on the duties that are outlined in the Scrum Guide for the Scrum Master.  

I could watch how the team managed their Backlogs (Product and Sprint) by watching the flow of items through the process that the team had created. I asked questions to clarify anything that I was able to see.  I participated in all of the Scrum Events via phone or video call. Just because you are remote does not mean you are completely cut off.  BTW, all of this was pre-2020 where the world got comfortable working remote due to Covid. 

Remember that a Scrum Master is not a manager. We do not have to be intimately involved in the team's day to day work.  We are more concerned about their ability to understand and respect the Scrum framework's ability to help them be more adaptive.  

06:36 pm January 12, 2022

hololens from microsoft VR glasses is a scrum team solution to work remotely

06:38 pm January 12, 2022

VR glasses can be a solution to increase close collaboration and therefore trust at some stages

09:20 pm January 12, 2022

How can you manage everyday work, retro, and sprint planning?

Don't.

Or perhaps you have noticed your team is more productive and achieves better results when working remotely?

Remote or otherwise, I've noticed that teams are more productive when they manage themselves.

Best thing: shine a light, and take care to reveal rather than resolve.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.