Skip to main content

Scrum Status Meeting

Last post 01:22 pm March 29, 2014 by Michael Owen
7 replies
03:58 am September 10, 2013

Hi

I got confused while chatting with my friend on Most encouraged time of day to hold scrum Status Meeting
Will be it on after Lunch or early in the morning?

05:03 am September 10, 2013

It should ideally be the first thing in the morning , but if your team is globally spread then we have to adjust the meeting when every team member is in office to join the meeting.

05:06 am September 10, 2013

I think you are referring to the Daily Scrum or "stand up". This isn't a status meeting. It's a planning opportunity for the inspection and adaptation of the current Sprint, and it's important to handle it in that context.

Generally speaking most choose to hold it early in the morning, as it allows them to plan out the working day in the most timely fashion. However the encouraged practice is for Development Teams to decide amongst themselves when to hold their Daily Scrum. It's all part of being a self-organizing team.

New teams often look to a Scrum Master to provide advice or guidance on when to hold a stand-up. Assuming the working day starts at 9am, I generally suggest 9:15 or 9:30. This allows for individual preparation, and provides a bit of slack for people on a school run or who are stuck in traffic. Obviously you don't want people breaking their necks trying to make it in on time.

05:13 am September 10, 2013

Thanks Dinesh and Micthell for your valuable comment

05:19 am September 10, 2013

I agree with Ian on both points, first it is not a status meeting and second ideally it should happen as the first thing of the development day.

Cheers
Sanjay

06:41 am March 26, 2014

Posted By ya_dinesh on 10 Sep 2013 05:03 AM
It should ideally be the first thing in the morning , but if your team is globally spread then we have to adjust the meeting when every team member is in office to join the meeting.

I agree. If the Scrum Team is Local then face-to-face Daily Scrum meeting should happen first thing in the morning. If the Scrum Team is geographically spread then usually mid day (after lunch) is suitable as it will enable entire Scrum Team to get together across multiple time zones.

11:52 am March 29, 2014

Our Daily Scrum meeting is at 9:15 because then everyone is in the office and has coffee.

01:22 pm March 29, 2014

Sandeep

Ian and Sanjay are quite right,

For some reason some teams assume it as "another meeting or meeting" even if you explain its not and its true purpose. I'm not sure where this comes from as a concept for some teams why they cant differentiate the two.
Ian rightly says should be handled with its true context.
"It's a planning opportunity for the inspection and adaptation of the current Sprint"
It could be worth making a push with the emphasis on "events" as opposed to meetings, to try to separate the two.

Daily Scrum
The Daily Scrum is a 15-minute time-boxed "event" for the Development Team to synchronize activities and create a plan for the next 24 hours. This is done by inspecting the work since the last Daily Scrum and forecasting the work that could be done before the next one.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.