Skip to main content

The Scrum Master does the following regarding the Daily Scrum (select all applicable variants):

Last post 07:07 pm December 20, 2023 by carter odell
17 replies
06:35 am January 22, 2022

Hi All, 

I wanted to understand this question while i was taking quiz on the mlapshin site where there is a question.

Q. The Scrum Master does the following regarding the Daily Scrum (select all applicable variants):

• If others are present at the Daily Scrum, ensures that they do not disrupt the meeting
  •  Ensures that the Development Team has the meeting
  •  Teaches the Development Team to keep the Daily Scrum within the 15-minute time-box
  •  Is responsible for conducting the Daily Scrum

Answer:

The Scrum Master

• Ensures that the Development Team has the meeting, but the Development Team is responsible for conducting the Daily Scrum.
  • Teaches the Development Team to keep the Daily Scrum within the 15-minute time-box.
  • If others are present at the Daily Scrum, ensures that they do not disrupt the meeting.

I wanted to understand who would "others" refer to here? As the only people required in the Daily scrum are Developers and the  Scrum master along with product owner acting as developers only if they are involved in doing work actively working on the items of the  sprint backlog.

Thanks,

Gayatri

11:46 am January 24, 2022

It is correct that the Developers are the only ones required at the Daily Scrum, the Scrum Guide does go on to say that the "Developers can select whatever structure and techniques they want, as long as their Daily Scrum focuses on progress toward the Sprint Goal and produces an actionable plan for the next day of work". Included in "structure and technique" would be inviting others to observe and/or participate in the Daily Scrum, perhaps even beyond the Product Owner. It would also include inviting the Scrum Master to serve as a facilitator for the event.

01:06 pm January 24, 2022

I wanted to understand who would "others" refer to here?

Anyone the Developers think would be useful in helping them to come up with a plan for the next 24 hours. The Daily Scrum is the Developers' show and they do it for that purpose.

09:51 am January 25, 2022

Thank you @Thomas Owens and @Ian Mitchell for your response.

The Scrum Guide indeed is deep in terms of its interpretation that we can have.

Cheers,

Gayatri

06:14 pm September 13, 2022

I don't think the question is great. If the Developers decide to invite someone to the Daily Scrum, as part of a self-managing team, they should be more than able to keep all participants in check. Can the SM coach them in this regard? Yes. Is it the SM's responsibility to keep them from disrupting the meeting? Me thinks not. The question is too open to interpretation. I do hope it doesn't pop up in my PSM1 assessment as I'm not confident that the suggested answer is correct.

On that point, many of the practice exams have erroneous or outdated answers. The latter because some are still based on the previous Scrum Guide.

09:39 am July 19, 2023

Hello Guys,

I am a bit confused about who is responsible for conducting the Daily ScrumMeeting.

In the Scrum Guide is written, that the SM is "Ensuring that all Scrum events take place", so this is a bit misleading for me and I understand it as he is responsible for conducting the daily.

03:59 pm July 19, 2023

Why would it need a conductor?

05:58 am July 20, 2023

Hi Ian, there was a question in the PSM I exam, where you should choose multiple answers about the SM responsibilities in regards to the Daily Scrum , and one of the options was that "He is responsible for conducting the meeting".

I know that the Developers are the one allowed in the meeting, thus this makes them responsible for conducting it,but it was a bit unclear whether the SM should make sure that the meeting is conducted (facilitated).

12:00 pm July 20, 2023

A Scrum Master would need to make sure the Developers have a Daily Scrum, but he or she would not need to be there, and so would not need to be responsible for facilitating it.

12:03 pm July 20, 2023

"He is responsible for conducting the meeting" would be an incorrect answer.

Scrum Master serves by...

Ensuring that all Scrum events take place and are positive, productive, and kept within the timebox.

How the Event is conducted is up to Developers...

The Developers can select whatever structure and techniques they want, as long as their Daily Scrum focuses on progress toward the Sprint Goal and produces an actionable plan for the next day of work.

Developers may make this a morning discussion over coffee, or they may review a Scrum board, or they may pick a facilitator, or <whatever structure and techniques they want>

06:24 am July 22, 2023

Daily Scrum is a meeting for Developers, by Developers.

Only thing Scrum master does is making sure that meeting takes place and is timeboxed 15 minutes.

06:27 am August 2, 2023

Kindly go to the Daily Scrum meeting for Developers.

01:59 pm December 5, 2023

Hello all,

I have doubts about a similar exam question regarding the Daily Scrum and hope you can help me in this great forum.

The question is: "The Scrum Master does the following in relation to the Daily Scrum. Choose all that apply."

The options are:

A. The Scrum Master ensures that only developers participate in the Daily Scrum
B. The Scrum Master teaches the developers to keep the Daily Scrum within the 1-5 minute time-box
C. The Scrum Master ensures that the developers have the meeting
D. The Scrum Master is responsible for the execution of the Daily Scrum

My answer was B and C, but the correct answers in my Scrum Training Center test were: A, B, C.

When I asked why A is correct, It was told that only the developers have to participate in the Daily Scrum, while other Scrum members and stakeholders can attend. Is A correct?

SG described: The Daily Scrum is a 15-minute event for the Developers of the Scrum Team... If the Product Owner or Scrum Master are actively working on items in the Sprint Backlog, they participate as Developers. 

My understanding of the question is that only developers are allowed to participate the Daily Scrum. 

What have I misunderstood?

I would be grateful for an answer. Thanks, Mirco.

08:49 pm December 5, 2023

"A" is not correct.  It is never stated in the Scrum Guide that the Scrum Master is crowd control for the Daily Scrum.  The Daily Scrum is for the Developers and is up to the Developers to determine the way it will be done. From the Scrum Guide section that describes the Daily Scrum 

The Developers can select whatever structure and techniques they want, as long as their Daily Scrum focuses on progress toward the Sprint Goal and produces an actionable plan for the next day of work. This creates focus and improves self-management.

I have never seen anything in any version of the Scrum Guide that stated anything similar to the statement made in your "A" selection.

09:12 am December 6, 2023

@Daniel, Many thanks for the quick and professional response! My understanding of the Scrum framework philosophy works again.:-) Another aspect of your explanation is that, in my opinion, the empirical approach is missing in answer "A".

07:11 pm December 7, 2023

The Scrum Master ensures that only developers participate in the Daily Scrum

Did you ask how a Scrum Master then coaches Developers to have an effective Daily Scrum in the first place?

There's a time and place for being a bouncer at the door, but Scrum is minimally prescriptive, and context is everything.

09:36 pm December 11, 2023

Beleive it or not but scrum master does not even have to be at Daily Scrum... Unless developers ask him to come.

07:00 am December 20, 2023

Although a Scrum Master should ensure that the developers have a Daily Scrum, they are not need to physically be present during the meeting and should not be held accountable for its facilitation.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.