Skip to main content

Scrum master certification

Last post 08:13 am April 13, 2022 by René Gysenbergs
2 replies
03:42 pm February 9, 2022

So i am wanting to get a scrum master certification and in doing my research i have found many different organizations who offer this certification.

Obviously scrum.org is a good one to get certified through but my question is which ones are legitimate?

Is there one that isnt considered a true scrum master certification

08:57 pm February 9, 2022

Unfortunately, anyone can create a certification, grant it and it is considered a true certification. That is how the certification farms come to be. The real question is what certifying bodies are respected. 

Personally in respect to the Scrum framework, I respect the scrum.org certifications more than any others because they provide the certifications based upon tests that prove you understand the Scrum framework instead of memorizing a bunch of answers. 

There are some that might be better to obtain given specific scenarios.  For example a Scrum Master in a SAFe organization is different than one in an organization that is using the Scrum framework.  So if you are working or want to work in organizations that use SAFe, you might be better served to get the Scrum Master certification from SAFe.  

08:13 am April 13, 2022

When it comes to valid Scrum certificates, there are only 3 organizations that give those.

1) Scrum.org with the Professional Scrum Master, etc...

2) Scrum Inc with the Registered Scrum Master, etc...

3) Scrum Alliance with the Certified Scrum Master, etc...

All the rest of organizations will give you a piece of paper, nothing more.

I'm biased towards Scrum.org, but I leave it up to you to do your own research on which organization you want to associate with.

Hope that this helps.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.