Skip to main content

Where may you add the most impactful improvements of the Retrospective?

Last post 10:03 pm February 11, 2022 by Chris Belknap
3 replies
05:38 pm February 11, 2022

Hi community!

I'm preparing myself to PSM2 certification test and found this mock question online with the correct marked as:

To the Sprint Backlog of the next Sprint.

I answered Product Backlog. 

My reasoning is that everything that comes from either the Review or the Retro is added there, and only on the Planning the Scrum Team checks what should be done, based on the Sprint Goal and the value order of the PBI's.

Am I wrong? Should it be mandatory to have "the most impactful improvement" on the next Sprint Backlog?   

07:41 pm February 11, 2022

There is a direct answer for this in Sprint Retrospective part in Scrum Guide,

The Scrum Team identifies the most helpful changes to improve its effectiveness. The most impactful improvements are addressed as soon as possible. They may even be added to the Sprint Backlog for the next Sprint.

improvement is not something you identify now and act later. 

09:10 pm February 11, 2022

My reasoning is that everything that comes from either the Review or the Retro is added there,

Why? Why should every end-of-Sprint adaptation be left to the Product Owner to manage?

10:02 pm February 11, 2022

The 2017 Scrum Guide was prescriptive mentioning that at least one improvement should be added to the Sprint Backlog. This was removed in the Nov 2020 version. Perhaps your mock online isn't up to date?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.