Skip to main content

increment available Sprint Planning?

Last post 07:10 pm February 18, 2022 by Veenit Kumar Kansal
6 replies
11:32 am February 16, 2022

Is there any possibility that increment available during Sprint Planning or at the end? Please let me know if any such example come to any one mind.

07:13 pm February 16, 2022

Does the increment meet DoD? usable and valuable ?

07:48 pm February 16, 2022

There is without a doubt an increment available during Sprint Planning.  It would be the last increment delivered from the previous Sprint.  However, I see no way that an increment can be created/completed during Sprint Planning.  

Here is a link to the section that defines an Increment in Scrum from English version of the Scrum Guide. (https://scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html#increment ). After reading that section, do you see why I made my statement? 

08:43 pm February 16, 2022

Is there any possibility that increment available during Sprint Planning or at the end?

Yes, however unlikely, because Scrum does not rule it out.

Please let me know if any such example come to any one mind.

Suppose we have a month to develop a comedy show. It's a complex challenge and empiricism will be needed. So we experiment with gags at a tough stand-up venue. If they work there, they'll work anywhere.

Each gag is an MVP experiment that is Done and deliverable. By the end of our Sprint Planning evening we have identified successful gags from which we draw a unifying theme. Developing a show with that theme is our Sprint Goal and we have a forecast of gags in our Sprint Backlog for achieving it.

03:15 pm February 17, 2022

Why you ask this question? ;)

Another example is that some PBI meets DoD without people doing the work (e.g. automated tests running for a few hours while a team is busy planning the next Sprint). It can even be automatically released. Stopping this process would be a lean waste IMHO.

03:16 pm February 17, 2022

This would be e.g. a PBI selected for the Sprint that wasn't "done" in the previous Sprint.

06:38 am February 18, 2022

Thank you everyone for your input. The origin of this question is what artifacts can be inspected and adapted during the Sprint Planning. I am sure for Product backlog, Sprint Backlog however bit confused with increment. However the above examples shows that every scrum artifact can be inspected and adapted during Sprint Planning.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.