Skip to main content

What type of "quick decisions" does a Scrum Product Owner have to make? Can you give me two examples?

Last post 07:11 pm February 18, 2022 by Veenit Kumar Kansal
3 replies
02:57 pm February 17, 2022

Hi,

I'm writing an article and I need to verify something.

What type of "quick decisions" does a Scrum Product Owner have to make? Can you give me two examples?

Thanks in advance,

06:27 pm February 17, 2022

Ones that are taken at the last responsible moment perhaps, such as whether or not to cancel a Sprint.

Generally speaking though, the speed of decision making ought to be limited only by people's ability to learn. A common inspect and adapt opportunity for Product Owners is the decision to pivot or to persevere.

02:20 am February 18, 2022

Ones where scope might impact the Sprint Goal.

Example: During the Sprint the Developers encounter something unexpected or an unforeseen complexity arises, and with just two days left in the Sprint they turn to the Product Owner to negotiate scope. A quick decision is needed by the Product Owner so the Developers can get back to focusing on and meeting the Sprint Goal. Any delay might put the Sprint Goal in jeopardy.

06:43 am February 18, 2022

My 2 cents - During the Sprint planning, lots of quick decision Product Owner needs to make based on situations. Based on the morning market situation during the Sprint Planning, the prioritization of feature, in feature what to implement. May be which stakeholder to talk through includes in quick decision list of Product Owner.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.