Skip to main content

Developers personal development

Last post 03:35 pm April 14, 2022 by Eric Lopez
4 replies
03:29 pm April 12, 2022

So, on our team we have some entry level developers (primary front-end). How could I help those developers with their personal development and coach them in scrum with the rest of the team? Thanks!

06:18 pm April 12, 2022

I'm assuming that you are a Scrum Master. If not, ignore my response.

Treat them like everyone else in your organization and don't single them out.  They should be part of a self-managing, self-organizing team that can support them in their professional growth.  Do your part to help them understand the Scrum framework and how it helps organizations and individuals be better at adapting to change.  Help them learn the benefit of empiricism because it can help them in more than just working on items from the Product Backlog. 

Professional growth is largely the responsibility of the individual trying to grow.  Let them ask questions as they have need.  Listen and be there when there is something you can provide them when they ask.

06:29 pm April 12, 2022

So, on our team we have some entry level developers (primary front-end). How could I help those developers with their personal development and coach them in scrum with the rest of the team? Thanks!

Exemplify servant leadership to them, and encourage them to find new and innovative ways to be of better service to others.

07:39 pm April 12, 2022

Make sure that there's capacity in the Sprint, probably for several Sprints, to give time for personal development and coaching. When planning your Sprint Goal and selecting items from the Product Backlog for the Sprint Backlog, work with the Product Owner to help manage expectations and give the team room to grow and develop. Taking on a little less work now and giving time for this development can help the team be much faster in a few Sprints.

01:32 am April 14, 2022

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Yes, I am a Scrum master. One of the impediments  we are working on is bringing the culture and environment that influences self-organization and being cross-functional. Our organization and team have a lot of moving parts. So it’s a struggle at times but I’m pushing as best to coach on what and how to use Scrum. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.