Skip to main content

Sprint Task Distribution

Last post 11:21 am April 15, 2022 by Esther Sekiziyivu
3 replies
12:07 pm April 14, 2022

How are tasks distributed amongst the development team?  

12:28 pm April 14, 2022

Let's go back a step. Who ought to be responsible for the way work is distributed?

04:25 pm April 14, 2022

This is from the Scrum Guide section describing the Sprint Backlog (emphasis by me)

Topic Three: How will the chosen work get done?

For each selected Product Backlog item, the Developers plan the work necessary to create an Increment that meets the Definition of Done. This is often done by decomposing Product Backlog items into smaller work items of one day or less. How this is done is at the sole discretion of the Developers. No one else tells them how to turn Product Backlog items into Increments of value.

And this is from the Scrum Guide section that describes the Developers (again emphasis by me)

The specific skills needed by the Developers are often broad and will vary with the domain of work. However, the Developers are always accountable for:

• Creating a plan for the Sprint, the Sprint Backlog;

• Instilling quality by adhering to a Definition of Done;

• Adapting their plan each day toward the Sprint Goal; and,

• Holding each other accountable as professionals.

Given all of that, do you think that there is one person responsible or would it be something that they Developers decide as a self-organizing, self-managing team?

11:21 am April 15, 2022

@Daniel WilhiteIan Mitchell  

Thanks for the responses. I understand those team dynamics and thanks for increasing my understanding. It therefore goes that the onus to distribute tasks is the sole responsibility of the developers and the Scrum Master has no need to understand how the team does the task distribution. Got it!  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.