Skip to main content

Career change at 50 to be a product owner ?

Last post 11:29 am April 24, 2022 by Amos .
4 replies
06:22 am April 21, 2022

Hello there, 

I've been looking at the prospect of the scrum proje t methodology and its certifications, especially PSPO. However, I have left the IT field 25+ years ago due to the IT bubble burst. I ended in the manufacturing field as sales executive and then ended up running my own sole proprietorship business in the field managing projects producing consumer products now for 15+ years. Due to covid etc, business and supply chains have been disrupted and so business has been very very difficult and tiring. I'm currently thinking of getting employed by someone in the IT or project management field but I'm already 50+! Hahaha My immediate question is, am I still able to get a job say in IT field being a scum master or a product owner. I know I've been away from the IT field or the job market for so long. So much has happened and changed. That's why I'm considering to give it a chance by getting re-education in Scrum. But I'm also worried about not being able to get a job after getting certified. 🤔 so on and so forth. 

I'd appreciate if anyone would shed some insights on this.  

Thanks. 🙂

05:12 pm April 22, 2022

I've been looking at the prospect of the scrum proje t methodology 

If I was to point out that Scrum isn't a project management methodology at all, how would that impact your desire to become a Scrum Master?

05:12 pm April 22, 2022

Or Product Owner for that matter?

07:41 pm April 22, 2022

+1 to @Ian's response.  A LOT has changed in technology in the last 25 years. I know because I am also 50+ and have been involved in the industry for since I turned 20.  One of the biggest changes is around project management.  Companies are trying to have more agility around how they build products so that the delivery is what the people want at the time that they are needed.  Each situation is unique and it has been learned that the formulaic approaches of years gone by aren't as effective. 

My immediate question is, am I still able to get a job say in IT field being a scum master or a product owner. 

I don't think anyone that reads this forum can answer that question.  The only way for you to know is to try.  Could you be capable of doing the work?  Again, that depends on you and the company that you are talking to about a job. 

We can give you our opinions but without knowing you personally, I'm not willing to do that. Sorry, I know it isn't the answer you wanted but I am being honest. 

03:54 am April 24, 2022

Hi Guys, thanks for the input. Indeed appreciate it. 

@Ian, 

If I was to point out that Scrum isn't a project management methodology at all, how would that impact your desire to become a Scrum Master?

Well, I read in a number of places that Scrum is one of the most popular approaches to handle a project and I agree like the approach. So, I would say it doesn't affect my desire to be PO. My issue is not my desire but the reality that I wonder if I would get employed again at 50 after getting the certification. I know it's difficult to say without trying. But still the reality is cruel. Haha 

@Daniel,

Appreciate your honest opinion. I like honest opinions rather than you giving fake hope! Reality is cruel. 🙂 But yes you're right that without giving it a try, no one knows. 

Let's see. Hope someone can share your actual experience getting a job at 50! 

Stay safe ! 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.