Skip to main content

Breaking into my first scrum role

Last post 06:38 pm August 4, 2022 by Rick Gilbert
5 replies
03:33 pm June 3, 2022

Hello there,

I am in the middle of a career change and know I'll need to start at the bottom but I am willing to do that to get where I want to be.

I have years of experience as a finance manager (automotive) and in mortgage loan origination. So mostly sales experience. I also have a B.S in Management. I've acquired my CSM. I have also completed some minor certifications through Coursera such as Google Project Management, Agile with Atlassian Jira, and Introduction to Agile Development and Scrum with IBM. In conjunction with the certification I spend most of my free time reading, watching YouTube videos, or going to Meetups all having to do with Agile/Scrum. I've even paid to have my resume optimized for ATS.

I suppose I'm just looking for some additional insight/advice on what to work on or what positions or companies I should be applying for next. I'm open to any feedback. Thanks in advance!

06:29 pm June 3, 2022

I am in the middle of a career change and know I'll need to start at the bottom but I am willing to do that to get where I want to be.

Where is it you want to be?

You're looking into things which align with team delivery, but your background is more one of connecting with the higher-ups and the politics of persuasion. Both are relevant to an industry which is currently hell-bent on separating the two.

06:57 pm June 3, 2022

I'd like to be part of a team using scrum.

The work I've been in tends to harbor an environment of one-upmanship and an every man for themselves attitude. I've always had issues with that part of the job. Working together as part of a team is a large part of what is drawing me out of my current field.

07:05 pm June 3, 2022

I'd like to be part of a team using scrum.

In my work experience there has always been an environment of one-upmanship and every man for themselves. This attitude was often encouraged. I've always had an issue with that.

The more I learn about agile and scrum specifically the stronger my desire to break away from my current career path. I do believe I have the soft skills and experiences that will translate well into a team role.

07:38 pm June 3, 2022

You've described the systemic, organization-level impediments which stop many teams from using Scrum at all. You can run from the toxic cultural issues, but you can't hide.

06:55 am August 4, 2022

hi. How is your first scrum role going? 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.