Skip to main content

Re. Preparing for PSM I assessment

Last post 07:29 pm August 10, 2017 by Suman Khanak
12 replies
05:53 pm July 22, 2014

Hi All,

I am new to SCRUM and would like to take the PSM I assessment. For this I have read the latest version of SCRUM guide available on this site almost 5-6 times. After completing the reading I tried attempting the Open Assessments and started with a score of Mid 80's to continuously clocking a score of 100 after 2 Attempts.

I would like to know which other material I should refer to improve my understanding about SCRUM and then appear for the actual assessment. Please advice.

Thanks & Regards
Vinay Parab, PMP.

08:59 pm July 22, 2014

Take the open until you can consistently get 100%. You need to understand coaching and facilitation, cross-functional and self-organizing, as well as the underlying theory and principles. Read books from recommended readings at this link while putting yourself in the mindset of the Scrum Master; that's what helped me pass:

https://www.scrum.org/Courses/Professional-Scrum-Master/PSM-Subject-Are…

09:26 am July 23, 2014

Hi Jo,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I have been taking the open assessment but somehow same type of questions are getting repeated is there any other source of larger pool of questions.

Regards
Vinay Parab, PMP

11:32 am July 23, 2014

Vinay

It also helps to take the PSD open because some of the questions are on the assessment. If you take the PSM open enough, there are usually mostly the same questions but they are not the same all the time. You really have to focus on the readings and get you mind in the role of the SM to pass the assessment.

01:33 pm July 23, 2014

OK. But is there also some kind of a guide for PSD. Please advice.

12:44 am July 24, 2014

Vinay

There is not a guide outside of the recommended readings and of course the Scrum Guide. The advantage of the both the PSM and PSD open's are the immediate feedback; you understand what you answered wrong, you learn what the correct answers are and you can put those answers and concepts in context in relation to the Scrum Guide to give yourself a better understanding of the theory and principles. That's the approach I took when preparing for both for the PSM I and the PSPO I.

08:54 am July 24, 2014

I have 20 years experience in Software development. I would like to eventually become a Scum trainer. What's the best path. Also, where to do I start.

Where is the best place to start?

Do I need to take a course from a certified trainer to get PSM I, PSM II, ??????, Trainer. What steps go in "????"

I live in a place of the US where Scrub training I have found is several hundred miles away, Is their online training?
Who is consider a reputable online provider?

I think I've read somewhere that in order to get to Scrum trainer I need 36 months of Scrum experience in a Scrum organization? (a) What is a scrum organization (b) Is there another path to this level?

Thanks,
Jay

09:04 am July 24, 2014

One more questions: What is the relationship between Scrum and Agile?
Thanks,
Jay
p.s.
Now reading Scrub Guide.

Anonymous
04:39 pm July 24, 2014

Hello Jay,

Thank you for your interest in Scrum.org. It's great that you're interested in becoming a Professional Scrum Trainer (PST). There's a fairly rigorous certification process that begins with submitting an application. More information on the PST Selection process, the related requirements and a link to the application can be found on our website by navigating here: https://www.scrum.org/Become-a-Trainer

If you should have any other similar questions that you are experiencing difficulty finding the answers to on our website or forums, please feel free to send us an inquiry directly to support@scrum.org.

Thank you and enjoy your day!

04:56 pm July 24, 2014

I've been preparing for the PSM I exam and just recently bought the book Essential SCRUM. I haven't finished it yet, but it covers all areas, which was just what I was looking for. I had seen "specialty" books that covered just one aspect of SCRUM and I'm sure they're good, but I didn't want to buy or read 12 books at this early stage.

Also, check your library to see if they have books on SCRUM and the other recommended reading material.

You can check out the Table of Contents, which is what I do before buying...
http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Scrum-Practical-Addison-Wesley-Signatur…

06:02 pm July 27, 2014

So does the PSM assessments also contains question related to PSD? Please advice.

02:43 pm July 29, 2014

Vinay

It has a couple PSD questions.

10:56 am August 10, 2017

I am new to SCRUM. Thanks for sharing this information.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.