Skip to main content

I quit my job to become an Scrum Master. Please advise

Last post 07:18 pm July 28, 2022 by Rick Gilbert
4 replies
05:51 pm July 22, 2022

Hi everyone, 

I am a registered nurse trying to transition into becoming a full-time Scrum Master. I was first introduced to Scrum through my fiance' that is a Data Engineer at a marketing company. He showed me the aspects and basics of Scrum and I was interested in it. I received my CSM last year and then kinda gave up on it because I was afraid that no one would want to hire me with no experience and just a certification under my belt. Fast forward to this year I decided to commit to this transition and I quit nursing altogether at the beginning of June and poured myself into really trying to make the transition into Scrum.

I did complete an internship with a small company named Mastermind in June as well but due to economic difficulties, they were unable to hire me after the internship was finished. For the last month, I've been unemployed studying Scrum as well as Project Management, rewriting my resume, watching videos about scrum, trying to network on LinkedIn, and applying for countless jobs. I have received barely any feedback from the jobs except "we're moving forward with other applicants". 

I genuinely want an opportunity to get to an interview so I show my Scrum knowledge, communication, and willingness to learn. I have the support from my fiance' and he has helped me with my resume and applying for jobs a lot but he can only do so much.  I know it hasn't been that long that I've been on this journey but I really do want to make this transition. Can someone look at my resume and let me know what I'm doing so wrong. Im not sure what else to do please advise.

Thanks In Advance

This is my LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/katrelle-bond/

03:39 pm July 27, 2022

I just saw this post.  Sorry for not responding sooner.  

You are seeing the difficulties of getting into a career that many do not understand.  Even if companies post Scrum Master jobs, they do not always want a Scrum Master.  I wish I had some advice to give you but I'm afraid I don't.  In today's economy, companies want people with some experience unless they are coming straight out of a university.  And even then, hiring Scrum Masters straight out of university is not very common. 

I have to believe that the reason your post sat for so long without responses is because no one really knew what to say. 

I like how you incorporated Scrum practices into the labor and delivery unit.  That is very creative. I've helped my wife introduce some practices into the management of medical labs.  Medicine is an area that I have felt could use some more of these types of innovations. 

All I can say right now is to keep trying.  It may take a while but keep trying.  I am also going to give you a little bit of "Dad advice".  It is much easier to find a new job if you have a job that brings in money.  It alleviates a lot of mental pressure.  So you might want to keep doing your nursing while you try to find a way into your new career. I also want to take the opportunity to thank you for the work you did/do as a nurse.  

07:23 pm July 27, 2022

I looked at the top of your LinkedIn profile and captured my immediate impressions and emerging thoughts.

I suspect that what follows is quite wrong, and that in truth you may have:

• valuable servant leadership experiences,
  • demonstrated under conditions of high uncertainty,
  • consisting of relatably human triumphs and tragedies

which would be of interest to employers, and which perhaps ought to be brought out instead.

Here goes:

Enthusiastic entry-level Scrum master.

Impression: This candidate thinks there is some sort of hierarchy among Scrum Masters, but at least is not arrogant enough to think she is at a senior level.

Slight tendency to reject.

Has worked in a Healthcare environment as a Registered Nurse for four years.

Impression: "Healthcare environment"? Did this candidate work in a hospital or other front line, daily at the boundary of chaos, putting herself in the service of others and leading them to positive outcomes? The choice of words suggests something rather tamer.

Moderate tendency to reject.

Worked on several Travel Nursing contracts

Impression: A paralegal in a healthcare company's HR department, or something rather similar.

Strong tendency to reject.

that have shown a proven history of successful work with cross-functional teams within various hospital settings

Who showed that supposed proven history? The candidate, or others on the contracts she negotiated? If it was the candidate, what challenges did she face and overcome?

and showcasing the domain expertise in the Nursing field

Impression: Showcases stuff instead of focusing on outcomes. PowerPoint jockey.

as well as process improvements with modern project management methodologies.

Impression: Candidate thinks in terms of "project management" and "methodologies".

Outcome: Strong reject.

09:31 am July 28, 2022

Hi Katrelle, 

I'm going to keep this relatively brief, but feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn if you'd like to discuss further; 

First thing I would do is get rid of the 'junior'  task on your profile and resume. Scrum doesn't have a Junior SM role and this only serves to make you look 'less', and frankly, I already see more good stuff in your profile than most SM's I see asking for work. 

My general advice is always this; 

Forget what you think you know about applying for jobs. Forget all the recruitment buzzwords and job titles. 

If you want to be an SM, commit by doing everything through the lens of the Scrum Guide. 

Talk about how you've helped teams (not just what you did) to practice empiricism and to live the Scrum values. 

Give explicit examples, with outcomes, as much as possible. 

Forget whether or not you had the right title, or whether someone else did some of the work, the question is "What did you do, and how did it foster good Scrum Practice?" 

10:18 am July 28, 2022

Hi Katrelle! 

I think you'are a brave person. Good luck with  changing your Carrier path.Take care. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.