Skip to main content

PSM-I passed with 100%

Last post 06:55 pm November 21, 2023 by Manikkuwahandi Chandra Deeptha Susiriwardana
93 replies
12:38 pm November 25, 2014

I am very happy to say that I have passed the PSM-I assessment successfully with 100%...
I highly recommend this course to all aspiring Scrum Masters...This can be a stepping stone for starting the journey as a Scrum Master.Looking forward for PSM-II. I know it would require lot of preparation, any guidance would be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Nagesh

07:42 pm April 13, 2018

Hi,

I've already passed the PSM1, and would like to share with most valuable sources for learning:

- SCRUM Guide;

- Volkerdon (it consists also Open Assessments' questions). Achieving more than 90% points in all the Volkerdon tests will make you ready to pass the real test.

Good luck to all of you

Bartek

07:04 pm April 14, 2018

Congrats, Bartlomiej!

Definitely Volkerdon is very good resource to prepare for PSM 1 and PSPO 1.

01:29 am April 26, 2018

Just passed the PSM 1 today with 90%.

This is all I did for my studies over two days before taking and passing the exam:

1) Read the scrum guide

2) Did the open assessment 3 times

3) Did the Mikhail Lapshin learning mode quiz 3 times

4) Read all the wrong answers and the scrum guide again

5) Got 90% from 2 days of studies

Good luck and scrum on

Dennis

10:07 am May 20, 2018

Hi, there, I am so HAPPY !!

Exactly like  Wei-Ta Chen, just passed the PSM 1 today with 90%.

And again, exactly like  Wei-Ta Chen

This is all I did for my studies over two days before taking and passing the exam:

1) Read the scrum guide - 2 full times and some other small searches

2) Did the open assessment 3 or some more times

3) Did the Mikhail Lapshin learning mode quiz 3 times

4) Read all the wrong answers and the scrum guide again

5) Got 90% from 2 days of studies

Good luck and scrum on !

Daniela

03:25 pm June 27, 2018

Hi Mikhail, 

Many thanks for the practice questions on your( Mikhail Lapshin) website. Your Scrum Quizs are really helpful for preparing certification exam.

my preparation

1) Read Scrum Guide 

2) Listen to Scrum Guide (2017): Free Audio Book by Michael Vizdos thanks to Michael Vizdos

3) Take Scrum open assessment 

4) Mlapshin Scrum Quizs(Learning and Real Mode) 

5) Take PSM 1 assessment and Pass

Happy Scruming...    

Thanks, Mahesh

06:17 pm June 27, 2018

I suggest reading and re-reading the Scrum Guide. This means really getting into the rules, events, artifacts, and roles. When you practice and understand clearly the REAR, then start taking the tests. Both on Scrum.org, and anywhere that people have so kindly posted their own tests.

The PSM1 exam is tricky, they expect you to know and clearly understand what the REAR is, and accordingly translate that understanding into the questions they ask. Some of the questions on the practice exams are there, others will completely throw you off at first. Just read and re-read the Scrum Guide. Take your time, and do not take it for granted. Make sure you have a very clear understanding, and are scoring at 100% on each test.

Understand questions like "What event can a Key Stakeholder attend" (answer- Sprint Review) and "What events can people outside the scrum team attend?" (answer- Sprint Planning and Sprint Review. Why? Sprint Planning, the Scrum Guide clearly says, scrum team may invite those with SME or domain knowledge to attend the Sprint Planning. The Sprint Review is where Key Stakeholders are permitted. Hence, those two events.)

I was able to take and pass the exam in 1 try- and that is because I read and re-read and tried to clearly at my best understand the Scrum Guide.

Good Luck, and Scrum On!

04:50 pm June 28, 2018

Understand questions like "What event can a Key Stakeholder attend" (answer- Sprint Review) and "What events can people outside the scrum team attend?" (answer- Sprint Planning and Sprint Review. Why? Sprint Planning, the Scrum Guide clearly says, scrum team may invite those with SME or domain knowledge to attend the Sprint Planning. The Sprint Review is where Key Stakeholders are permitted. Hence, those two events.)

Are you sure you got this right, according to Scrum Guide?

12:52 pm July 10, 2018

Follow   Wei-Ta Chen receipe :

1) Read the scrum guide - 3 full times 

2) Do the open assessment 5 or some more times or until getting at least 95%

3) Read all the wrong answers and the scrum guide again

4) Do the Mikhail Lapshin learning mode quiz 3 times or until getting at least 95%

5) Read all the wrong answers and the scrum guide again

5) Go and get your certification :)

Good luck

04:11 pm August 21, 2018

I am planning to take PSM-1 certification.

However, to give an intro about me, I have working in automation testing, and current working as manual tester.

And from a career planning perspective, I would like to continue in testing domain itself (manual / automation).

Keeping this mind, can anyone advice if PSM-1 would help my profile / resume for future?

05:30 pm August 21, 2018

https://www.scrum.org/professional-scrum-master-i-certification

This info is readily available on the PSM1 page.

12:14 pm August 22, 2018

@ Sanjay, imo, the PSM certification would not help much unless your goal is to practice as a Scrum Master.

Instead, I'd say go for some testing certifications, ie ISTQB's. 

If, however, you're inclined towards products, consider a future PO role, in which case, you could go with PSPO cert

06:26 am August 25, 2018

You can try as many attempts.But passscore is 85%,Suggestion is if you have 95% score and above 95% score,you are eligible for a free attempt for PSM II

03:15 am October 1, 2018

I passed my PSM 1 exam today(Sept. 30th/18) - I took two days to study for it fully and used several materials which has been discussed on this platform and other online resources. I can now apply for several Scrum Master roles and apply the knowledge at work. Thanks everyone for the information you shared on this platform it helped.

04:01 pm October 25, 2018

Congratulations, I clear the exam today with a score of 90%, now I will start to clear the PSPO.

My guide was to read blogs on the Internet, 

Read the scrum guide 

Mocking test with a score of 90 above.

I read Scrum: A pocket guide

11:49 am October 26, 2018

Hi all,

I have thoroughly gone through Scrum Guide Couple of times and given Scrum Open Assessment PO Open assessments. Almost Every time can able to get 100% in open assessments. I have given Real mode exam in http://mlapshin.com/index.php/scrum-quizzes/sm-real-mode/ website and got decent score. Did the Above mentioned things are enough to crack PSM-1??? As I already didn't qualified in first attempt still in dilemma to give exam again.

Any Suggestions or help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in Advance

07:14 am December 9, 2018

Today I wrote PSM I exam, I read scrum guide,wrote scrum open and Mikhail Lapshin scrum quiz several times consistently got 100% in both , prepared for two weeks completely ,failed with just one mark (67/80) . I got 83.8% in the exam .

Scrum Open and Mikhail's quiz are having straight forward questions but in the assessment questions are completely different many question which I got are  scenario based which needs an experience as scrum master. 

I am a developer with 4 years of experience, with my interest more in software Engineering related roles in IT I prepared for this exam but failed.  Any one here please suggest me something so that I can pass this exam in next attempt .

Regards

Vikas Gunti

01:13 am January 7, 2019

Hi Mikhail,

I found the PSM l quiz that you put together very helpful but unfortunately the link is down.

10:16 pm January 23, 2019

Just a suggestion. Maybe Scrum should allow candidates to retake at a reduced cost. Some people are still fresh out of college and some aren’t that rich. Some will pass at one go most won’t. Unless the ratio of those who pass the exam is great than those that fail. However, most certification courses, I have taken gave people the opportunity to retake for half the price. It’s important we take everyone’s situation into consideration. 

Thank you. 

07:28 am May 14, 2019

I already took the exam two times, what is the possibility of taking the third time?

02:38 pm May 14, 2019

There's always a possibility of taking it, but I think you're actually asking about likelihood of passing it. This is a question only you master since you're the one behind the effort (study, research, maybe even practice). 

Don't give up (but also don't waste money - only take it when you are very comfortable)

01:37 pm June 7, 2019

Hi Scrum Team!

I fully agree with Kanayoo - There should be an option provided by Scrum allowing candidates to retake the exam at a reduced cost. For instance it would be available above a predefined score eg. 82% what is actually very close to the minimum passing score.

"Some people are still fresh out of college and some aren’t that rich. Some will pass at one go most won’t. Unless the ratio of those who pass the exam is great than those that fail. However, most certification courses, I have taken gave people the opportunity to retake for half the price. It’s important we take everyone’s situation into consideration."

The exam questions are practical and situation based definitely not the same as in the open assessment and I could not find similar open test question nowhere else so far.

Now I started to read the articles from the scrum.org page to see whether they answer my questions I faced in the exam or not, however so far I am not happy with whatever I read.

Regards,

Erika

02:44 pm June 7, 2019

Hello Erika, thank you for your post.  There are over 200,000 people who have taken and passed the PSM I for example.  The ratios of people passing is significantly higher than those who fail.  I suggest that you read Ken's articles on why having a high bar is so important to validation.  If we lower the bar, we lower the credibility that you receive when passing the assessment. 

To your comment "However, most certification courses, I have taken gave people the opportunity to retake for half the price. It’s important we take everyone’s situation into consideration."  Our  Professional Scrum courses provide a free retake if you take the assessment within 14 days of the class and do not pass.  See our class descriptions for more details.

09:02 am July 15, 2019

In accordance with scrum theory how should a group of 100 people divided into multiple development teams?

12:01 am July 17, 2019

Hi Guys, 

Thanks for your help and assistance you guys are providing to everyone.

Is there anyone used https://unbored.training/ for product owner certification or PSM certification?

I am not finding it similar to real exam and this looks like a waste of money and time to me.

Any input?

12:44 am July 17, 2019

@Hariom, that link is just a login and I have never heard of them. If you want high value and well respected training for Product Owners, go to Scrum.org.  Read reviews 1/2 way down the page and learn more at https://www.scrum.org/courses/professional-scrum-product-owner-training

12:28 pm August 26, 2019

I also agree with Kanayo Chukwuneke

Also Passing percentage is 85%  which is too high

Either reduce the percentage  or give 3 attempts to clear with same password?

It is difficult to achieve this along with office expectation

12:35 pm August 26, 2019

@ Eric Naiburg

I gave the exam on 22 Aug and scored 73.8%

I received the password on 18th August

But now when I am trying to use same password ; it is showing Password is no longer active

How will I give second attempt with same password

Please reply urgently

12:52 pm August 26, 2019

@chanda, passwords are only valid for 1 attempt at the assessment. Please email support@scrum.org with any questions to help you directly.

01:10 pm August 26, 2019

@chanda an 85% score to pass is what makes the PSM I so credible around the world.  If it was so simple, it would have no validity in the industry.  You should read Ken Schwaber's 3 part series on why it is important to be credible. The majority of people do pass on their first attempt, but not everyone.

Ken's Articles:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

07:13 am September 10, 2019

Gave the Professional Scrum Master I exam today and passed with a score of 95%.

Confessions: Scrum Guide is dense, yet deceptively thin. Read it twice with notes but had to give up as was doing miserably in the mock test by Mikhail lapshin. (great in learning mode but less than 60% in real exam mode)

Best Motivator: Buy the exam voucher, unless we have "skin in the game", it becomes really hard to focus. Now only one route, I pass or my 150 buck is gone.

Time boxing: Promised myself to give the exam within 10 days of voucher purchase.

Stumbled upon Free Gold: Scrum Guide (2017): Free Audio Book by Michael Vizdos , for last 7 days, where-ever I go, from cafeteria to loo, the audio was on, played the entire stuff with loops, till I sleep...I still hear it now, even inside my head [there is a long pause in the middle of audio, that i had to read in the scrum guide)

Bought the saviour: Amazon recommended this kindle purchase Scrum Narrative and PSM Exam Guide. Now I started understanding Scrum Guide and connecting the dots.

Finally thanks to this blog for recommeding Volkerdon . Gave the free assessment and free quiz, then gave a try for Lapshin, now started getting above 90% in a row. Also kept an eye on the Lapshin's scrum-blog for additional questions.

Last night I just keep giving all the scrum.org open assessment, all of them PSD,PSM,PSP0,Scaled,Kanban,PAL, 30 15 10 questions didn't matter..kept failing and learning, just kept giving each and every open assessment exam till I was getting 100% in a row in each of them. 

With this momentum intact, plunged into the real exam today morning..it just felt like giving just another open assessment. Submitted by just 33 mins to get the score!

My takeaway: Fail fast, learn faster,keep the rhythm and momentum going and focus 1 question at a time.

03:27 pm September 18, 2019

Hello Everyone,

I just cracked it, yes passed PSM-I exam in first attempt with 92.5%.

I  am here to thank each one of you for valuable tips and guidance in clearing PSM-I exam. 

As far my preparation is concerned, I followed Scrum Guide and attempted scrum questions of Mikhail Lapshin in real mode for a month. Link: https://mlapshin.com/index.php/scrum-quizzes/sm-real-mode/.

I also studied twice Scrum Insights for Practitioners by Hiren Doshi, and it actually helped me to get a depth knowledge on Scrum. 

Thank you all.

10:16 pm November 20, 2019

HI,

Im planning to take my PSM1 next month. what are things i should do to clear exam? how many times can we try?

Thanks

Prasy

09:04 pm November 24, 2019

I successfully passed PSM-1 Exam scoring 97.5%. Thanks to everyone on this forum for sharing their experiences which did provide me significant guidance.

I have worked on Scrum Projects for several years. However, spent a few days preparing using below steps.

Good luck.

03:36 am March 13, 2020

Hi All,

Initially, i want to say that i am a professional with a experience in service operations management of 10 years in India, last week i relocated to auckland with my family. I was keen to move into IT field so someone suggested me to get PSM 1 certification first. I studied Scrum Guide for 4 days and tajen a course on Udemy, i cracked it with 95% in my first attempt.

I really appreciate if someone can guide how to get job without experience in scrum environment. 

Thanks

05:05 am September 1, 2020

Cleared PSM 1 certification with 96.3%. :)

02:05 pm September 8, 2020

Hi Arpita, have you taken any Udemy courses or practice tests.

I am getting between 80-90% on these practice test:

1) https://www.mlapshsn.com

2) https://www.thescrumexperts.com

Scrum guide 3 times.

Thanks,

ZN

11:28 am September 11, 2020

Hello, 

I passed today with 100%.

It is good to score around 100% on practice tests. Read the wrong answer explanations and find in the Scrum Guide the explanation.

Pay attention to : can, may, must, optional, attend, participate.. The difference between them.

You will have to select either one/two/three choices (they mention that) or best answer or all that apply. So you need to read carefully the answer.

The exam is like in the open assessment, but a bit more difficult (like 15-20 questions or such). 

11:28 am August 9, 2021

Thanks Loana and Contratulations for the 100% score. Attention to detail is an important input. I am planning to appear for the PSM-I examination mostly this week. I have been practicing open assessments and trying to build my own questions and answer all available tests available online. Read Scrum guide multiple times and trying to gather the gutts to appear for the real exam. The USD 150 per attempt is the only thing trying to hold me up.

03:49 am August 11, 2021

So finally I passed the PSM I Assessment yesterday with a 91.3% score. Based on my overall experience of the examination, here are my learnings that could have helped me perform even better:

1. Stick to the Scrum Guide. Read it again and again. The scrum guide may seem very simple but every word in it has a deeper meaning which you will be able to comprehend during subsequent reads. I printed the scrum guide on a A4 size paper, used a pen to scribble my own understanding and notes against each terminology. Note that it is not about the scrum guide but applying the fundamental knowledge of the scrum framework in real life. 

2. The exam had 5 to 10 tricky questions which makes all the difference in the scoring. If you have studied the fundamentals well, practiced open assessments and some questions available over various websites, you can easily get upto 75% to 80%. However, the passing score is 85% so answering the tricky questions well makes all the difference.

3. There are several choose the best option type questions, select three, select two best options, true or false with multiple choices and select only one correct option type of questions. The tricky questions fall under select best options category - most of the choices were never read in the open assessments. Hence, you need to rely on your own understanding of the scrum guide. 

4. No questions were asked related to scaled scrum or the Nexus Guide. However, you need to know how multiple scrum teams use the Product backlog and their challenges.

Wish you all the Best!  

07:37 am March 4, 2022

Dear All,

I am so glad and thrilled today as I have passed the PSM-I assessment successfully with 100%...The scrum guide and few open assessments of scrum.org are good for gaining knowledge. If time permits take open assessments in other websites as well

Regards,

Maitreyee

04:36 pm October 27, 2022

Hi, 

Can someone let me know whether http://mlapshin.com/index.php/psm-quiz/learning-mode/ is still valid for Scrum guide 2020 too. I'm planning to get the exam in next few days and tried open scrum few times successfully. Due to limited questions in there, would like to try something with large number of questions. 

Thanks, 

12:45 pm November 13, 2023

Hi, 

Can someone let me know whether http://mlapshin.com/index.php/psm-quiz/learning-mode/ is still valid for Scrum guide 2020 too. I'm planning to get the exam in next few days and tried open scrum few times successfully. Due to limited questions in there, would like to try something with large number of questions. 

Thanks, 

Hi,

As of today (13th Nov 2023), it is not updated to Scrum Guide 2020. The link itself says "Based on the Scrum Guide v2017 (update for v2020 is in progress)". And I found it is based on Scrum guide 2017 and better to avoid until it is updated, as it might confuse you.  

02:20 pm November 21, 2023

Hi 

Thanks to all the tips, advise and links given in this thread and in https://www.scrum.org/forum/scrum-forum/8028/its-not-difficult-pass-psm-1?page=1, I got through PSM I today with 93.75% (75 out of 80 points). If not for this help, I don't think I could do it. I did my PSM training attending a Scrum.org training in 2014. After few months tried the exam without really studying properly and failed measurably. Later due to work pressure, didn't really do the exam. Now when I decided to do it this year, I realized that so much has changed. I had to unlearn some of the things I learned in the class. 

From my experience, here is my two cents for 2023 (and may be beyond). I have mainly used below 2 sites (paid, but not expensive) and Scrum Open assessment:

1. https://www.volkerdon.com/ : Really good and updated to 2020 Scrum Guide and has many assessments and lots of questions. But they are not keeping to the Scrum.org's PSM scope. It has questions outside the basic Scrum and answer to those questions are not found in Scrum guide nor they will be included in the in the actual PSM I certification exam. You may end up confused because of this. As long as you understand this and learn to ignore such questions, this site is good, as it is basically harder or more detailed than the real exam. You can do lots of practice with volkerdon.com which helps ultimately. 
2. https://www.thescrummaster.co.uk/  : Their free assessment and paid PSM I assessments are simple and easy and keeps to the scope. Questions are simple, actual exam is harder than this assessment. But this is more closer to exam style than volkerdon.

In addition to these 2 I initially used http://mlapshin.com . It is outdated and has questions that the sites says wrong, when you give the correct answer (example Scrum Team size). Reason is it is still not updated to 2020 Scrum Guide. Because of this, it is very confusing and better to avoid as you will loose time trying to figure out what's happening. The site helped me a lot initially, but later trying to do it again and again I end up loosing time. So better to use properly updated instead of this. 

Only issue is when you practice with few hundred questions from few places, you will end up remembering them and you start getting the answer before you finish reading as you are familier with the question. But when you go to the actual exam, this is not going to happen. Thought there are questions similar to practice assessments, the real exam has real questions for which you need to have the concepts understood. So make sure your practive assestments take bit less time that allocated for your first pass. For me, with difficulty I managed to finish it within allocated time in my first pass and could not visit back any questions I marked for recheck later. 

As someone has mentioned above, keep trying and failing as many times as you can and that's the best way you can learn what is expected. Not just reading the Scrum Guide, which of cause must be done without fail.  Invest time readying the practicing. Don't read just Scrum from anywhere, just keep to the Scrum.org Scrum. If you do that and practice with assessments, you are going to enjoy doing PSM 1.  

cheers,

deeptha

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.