Skip to main content

Change of Career

Last post 03:45 pm September 1, 2022 by Bianca Stratulat
4 replies
01:29 pm August 17, 2022

Hello everyone, I’m new here so please be kind. I have been a pharmacist for 10+ years now here in U.K and I’m looking for a career change due to one or two reasons. I have spoken to few people but I know almost nothing about the being a product owner (in software development), no experience whatsoever.

I read a little about it and I’m wondering if anyone can be so kind to give me a roadmap of the certifications I would need.

There seem to be a lot of specifications/programs but I do not know where to start.

•  Agile Software Development
  • Agile Scrum
  • Backlog
  • Jira
  • Releases
  • Written Communication
  • UI UX
  • Frameworks

I’m hoping to start training whilst still doing my pharmacy work. If there’s anyone out there with a complete career change of this manner? Please kindly let me know.

There are no guarantees that I’d be happy being in this new sector but I might regret if I didn’t try, also I have my pharmacy role to fall back on.

Many thanks

05:04 pm August 17, 2022

I know almost nothing about the being a product owner 

If that's what interests you, might it be a good idea to add Product Owner training to your list, perhaps at the top?

01:32 pm August 25, 2022

Do what your heart says and follow your passion. Even though you will be new in this field but you will learn with time and its a really rewarding and lucrative career. Best of luck!

04:45 am August 27, 2022

Hi Martin,

I feel you. I am a cost estimator and my background is accounting. I am also planning to switch career like you but I do not know where to start.

When I started my job as cost estimator I had zero experience but I learned along the way and master it doing for more than 6 years.

What I learned is that, all things can be studied and learned. If you really want something and do it with passion and dedication, you can do whatever your heart desires to do.

You can do it my friend! :-)

I believe in you.

Just do it.

Goodluck and more power! 

08:23 am September 1, 2022

It doesn't need to be shift of career, rather an integrated part. For example you can still work as a Product Owner in the pharmaceutical area and you can make use of your existing knowledge to maximise the value of the product. If you are based in UK you can search for Astrazeneca company to see job descriptions in this field. It only depends on what you want!

To help you: take online courses in the area, read books. There are a lot of recommendations in the path of becoming a Certified Product Owner https://www.scrum.org/professional-scrum-product-owner-certifications.

Best of luck!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.