Skip to main content

Standardising Velocity in a Nexus team

Last post 09:03 pm August 17, 2022 by Abayomi Joseph Ajayi
4 replies
01:35 pm August 17, 2022

I attended an interview recently for a Scrum Master position and this came up. The organisation has multiple Scrum teams and the interviewer wants my opinion on how best to have a standard Velocity across the team as a threshold. Just wondering if anyone has an idea of how this can be achieved if feasible. 

02:05 pm August 17, 2022

Aligning velocity across teams is like aligning odometer readings on cars. All cars could show the same number of miles, but all gone in different directions and not reached their destination (goal). It isn’t the miles we care about, it is about all of the cars reaching the destination. 

A Nexus should be focused on a Nexus Sprint Goal and integrating all work across teams to achieve it. The velocity of each team is irrelevant and alignment of velocity across teams is even less relevant. The question we want to ask is how best to align each team’s work to achieve product goals. 

02:28 pm August 17, 2022

My response to that question would be the following.

• How do you measure velocity? 
  • Will the basis of that measurement be identical across all of the teams?
  • Why would there be a need for a "standard" if all of the teams are successfully delivering the value that is needed? 

Take for example something that has become a standard practice.  Using Story Points to determine velocity.  Story Points are estimates.  Estimates are guesses made based upon the information known at the time of your guess.  Guesses are not formulaic.  They are the opinions of the people that are making the guess.  So unless a single individual makes all of the guesses for all teams, there will be differences in the technique. 

Another example is to use Throughput and Cycle Time.  Those metrics are based upon the time it takes for a team to complete a unit of work.  However, those units will be of different sizes across teams unless, again, a single individual creates all of the units.  And even if that were true, the way a team works can impact those metrics. Do they pair? Do they have a lot of automation to help with the work? 

Velocity, Throughput, Cycle Time are all very valuable metrics FOR THE TEAM THAT IS USING THEM.  They serve no purpose to measure cross team. 

05:14 pm August 17, 2022

interviewer wants my opinion on how best to have a standard Velocity across the team as a threshold. Just wondering if anyone has an idea of how this can be achieved if feasible. 

If the interviewer was any good, he'd have been looking not for an answer, but at how you critiqued the question. Can you see why?

09:03 pm August 17, 2022

Thank you Ian, Daniel and Ryan. I learnt something great with your feedback. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.