Skip to main content

Scrum Masters and the Board

Last post 10:09 pm November 5, 2022 by Ian Mitchell
6 replies
05:26 pm November 3, 2022

Hello Everyone, 

Joined as a Scrum Master on a new team.  And I have a few questions please, if that's OK. Little background, we are going through a UAT phase just now, so most of the items in our backlog are defects with the odd US thrown in.  We do not have a dedicated PO but we have BAs who are supposed to help maintain the board.  

- How much of your time do you spend on the board in a day? 

- Is it a Scrum Master's responsibility to constantly monitor the board looking for new defects? New defect are automatically placed in the current sprint because they are a priority, that's the decision taken.

- Do you find yourself chasing developers constantly to either assign a defect (new ones come in or failed), chase up for updates, push the developers to focus on finishing tasks faster and also chase them up for updating status and reassign to test etc  

I am finding this whole situation is wrong. And I honestly do not know what to do?  So, thought I'd ask if this is what every SM is doing at the moment? And I am wrong in thinking this. 

Thank you 

06:55 pm November 3, 2022

It sounds like you're in a command-and-control stage-gated environment with agile go-faster stripes sprayed on. It's not right, but it is very common.

• Have you found out who actually wants Scrum in the organization?
  • What outcomes are they really expecting? Scrum is about learning, empirically, to build the right thing at the right time.
  • How do they intend to create a sense of urgency for deep and systemic change, so organizational gravity is overcome?

09:07 pm November 3, 2022

As @Ian points out, you don't seem to be using anything from Scrum other than a few phrases.  To answer your questions from a Scrum perspective.

- How much of your time do you spend on the board in a day? 

None.  The board is for the Developers to use for radiating information about their work in a Sprint and to manage their work of achieving the Sprint Goal.

- Is it a Scrum Master's responsibility to constantly monitor the board looking for new defects? New defect are automatically placed in the current sprint because they are a priority, that's the decision taken.

See answer to the first question.  If the Developers have decided to create defects on the board, it is their responsibility to manage them because they have accepted that work as necessary to achieve the Sprint Goal.

- Do you find yourself chasing developers constantly to either assign a defect (new ones come in or failed), chase up for updates, push the developers to focus on finishing tasks faster and also chase them up for updating status and reassign to test etc  

No, because as a Scrum Master it is not my job to assign work or to monitor that work is being done. I am here to help the team learn how to benefit from empirical processes and become self-managing, self-organizing. 

As @Ian stated, you should ask the people in our organization that are championing your processes what they expect from them.  It seems like a very command-control, phased gate project management practice with a few Scrum terms thrown in to make it seem like they are being agile.  I would get them to explain it to you in more detail.

02:54 pm November 5, 2022

Good questions, Ian.  And thanks for your input, Daniel. 

When I question things, I am told that everyone is on board (in terms of mgt) to being agile.  But honestly, I do not see it.  I am hoping I can help turn things around.

But at the moment I am so focused on that board, I am not having time to do anything much else.  Not to mention that they seem to have meetings and meetings and honestly, it's like they think the Scrum master is the secretary to arrange meetings and take notes. I just needed to ask other SMs if they are in the same boat and how to break out of this

(I tried creating a Working agreement and putting in 'Taking ownership' among other things and I was asked what my hidden agenda was!)

Thanks

03:24 pm November 5, 2022

Bear in mind that to them Scrum really is hidden.

06:33 pm November 5, 2022

Ian, the question was asked by a BA who insists she is an expert in Agile and Scrum

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.