Skip to main content

Trying to change careers after 13 years in IT

Last post 11:54 am January 10, 2023 by Ryan Kent
1 reply
10:18 pm January 5, 2023

Greetings,

I have my CSM and am ready to shift careers. The problem is, I still need to work in IT full time to pay the bills, so doing something like an internship during the day is not an option. I really would like a way to get my foot in the door without compromising my current day job.

Any suggestions? Thanks for reading

11:54 am January 10, 2023

Hello CW,

CSM is a good first step, akin to gaining a learners permit in driving. You have learned some theory and basics and now you need to practice driving. In this case, build experience as a Scrum Master and leverage the Scrum framework in real world scenarios. 

You mentioned you work in IT. Is there an opportunity for Scrum in your current team where you could take on the accountabilities of a Scrum Master to start to learn the craft and build experience?

If no opportunities exist in your current team, are there other opportunities within your organization on other teams that you could explore?

If not, do you have opportunities in your personal life where you could leverage Scrum? Is there a complex problem you need to solve empirically through adaptive solutions?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.