Skip to main content

Kindness over commerce

Last post 02:05 pm January 8, 2023 by Chuck Suscheck
No replies yet
02:05 pm January 8, 2023

The year is 2023, and as is customary, this is the time to make resolutions.  Why not make this the year we promise to be kind, gentle, and content.  Make it the year that we support one another's endeavors and viewpoints.

Over the past few years, I've seen recommendations to make aggressive claims and take extreme positions since they attract the most attention; if my blogs aren't confrontational and shocking, they'll get lost in the background noise.

I'll take a strong stand and declare I reject that viewpoint.  When there is disagreement, we can rationally defend our positions and attempt to reach an understanding instead of engaging in a confrontation.  Instead of attacking each other to attract attention; we can work together and lift each other up.  Instead of trying to steal business from others and tearing down ideas, grow our industry first and our business through positivity. Let's be content and not aggressively assert that we deserve it all.

As part of my stance, I reject the inference that managers are idiots, leaders are wicked, story points are a complete waste, and Scaled Agile Framework is intrinsically detrimental.  Even though there are instances of poor management, uncaring leadership, story point abuse, and harmful SAFe implementations, there is plenty of ground for seeing positivity without tearing each other down.

I promise to support kindness and refrain from reacting to confrontational extremes.  I will contribute positivity to the Agile community. I want kindness to be my legacy. Will you promise to do the same and join me in this pledge?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.