Skip to main content

What belongs solely to the Development Team?

Last post 03:12 am March 15, 2016 by Talha Koç
8 replies
08:19 am March 4, 2016

Hi,

here is one question that I was in doubt:

Question:
What belongs solely to the Development Team?

A/ The Sprint Backlog
B/ The Product Backlog
C/ The Definition of Done
D/ The Increment

I thought that the increment also belongs to development team, hence selected A & D, however the answer is only A. Any comments and feedback very welcome.

10:39 am March 4, 2016

From scrum guide "Only members of the Development Team create the Increment."

That is not same as "Increment solely belongs to development team". Even though only dev team creates increment, entire scrum team + stakeholders will have interest in it.

Sprint backlog on other hand is just a internal process to achieve the increment, hence it belongs solely to dev team.

Anonymous
02:10 pm March 6, 2016

D - The increment. They are the ones who produce the product through coding/designing.

10:27 am March 7, 2016

Wrong

Anonymous
07:49 am March 8, 2016

I just realised it should be the sprint backlog. I stand corrected.

05:55 am March 10, 2016

The increment is a piece of product. To whom belongs the product if not the "Product Owner" ?

07:46 pm March 10, 2016

> The increment is a piece of product. To whom
> belongs the product if not the "Product Owner" ?

I am nit-picking, but it is arguably better to say that the increment *is* the product and not just a piece of it. This is because:
- Each increment is cumulative, and includes all previous increments. It is the product at the current moment in time and it belongs to the Product Owner.
- "Pieces" of product require integration, which is development work. Those pieces would belong to the Development Team from the moment they become work in progress until they are integrated into the increment and are ready for release.

04:44 pm March 14, 2016

I agree that the increment is "a" product, a working software, by now.

I meant, the increment may not be the "final" product if a PBL still exists.

03:12 am March 15, 2016

Thanks a lot, now it is pretty clear.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.