Skip to main content

Is it worth using Requirement Tracability Matrix in scrum

Last post 12:12 am February 23, 2023 by Subhasish Gupta
5 replies
04:35 pm February 16, 2023

05:57 pm February 16, 2023

What do you mean by "worth it"? Have you identified a key stakeholder who believes that having a requirements traceability matrix would be valuable or helpful? Then, has the team discussed the needs with that stakeholder to make sure they understand what the Scrum artifacts and any other artifacts that the team produces are? Once the stakeholder who is asking for a RTM understands what the team is already doing, does an RTM add value or are the existing artifacts sufficient?

05:59 pm February 16, 2023

It depends on the problem your Scrum Team is trying to solve. In some companies, the audit department wants to see a way to trace a requirement to a build and to see who pushed a build to a production environment. 

Depending on the tools available, this activity can be automated. One large company had integration between Jira, Bitbucket and Bamboo. There is also a Jira plugin to build a traceability matrix report.

Hope this helps.

06:03 pm February 16, 2023

Only the team that is asking that question can answer it.  The Scrum Guide says nothing about it because that would be a process or documentation decision.  If the team will find it useful, then use it. But if the team does not see value in it, don't bother.

Personally, I have not found any benefit in using one because part of the refinement process has always given my teams what they need.  At least that is what all of my teams have told me. 

06:46 pm February 16, 2023

Is it worth using Requirement Tracability Matrix in scrum

If we have empirical evidence of the need to change requirements now, wouldn't we endeavor to do so, irrespective of who said what in the past?

12:12 am February 23, 2023

It is useful specially for the Regulatory and Compliances work.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.