Skip to main content

Product Owner and Developers disagree.

Last post 05:51 am March 2, 2023 by Joseph Mack
3 replies
07:35 am February 27, 2023

I am Scrum master for a team, my team is having a problem: in Sprint planning there is a user story developer who sees it as not worth too much for the product with a proposal to the PO, please rearrange its priority. and request in user story reduces user experience but PO insists on team to implement that user story.

I also advised Developers to respect PO's decision and do it then we'll check back at Sprint Review, Developers still insist that user story doesn't bring better value but make our product recognized. about the bad feedback, I also advised the PO to reconsider the request but it still didn't work.

If anyone has encountered this situation, please give me some useful advice. My English is not good, I hope everyone will understand the problem I mentioned above. Thank you.

07:28 pm February 27, 2023

From the Scrum Guide:

The Product Owner is accountable for maximizing the value of the product resulting from the work of the Scrum Team.

It's good that the Developers are engaging with the work they are being asked to do and trying to help maximize the product's value. But, at the end of the day, the Product Owner is accountable for maximizing value. Unless there is a technical reason why the work described by the Product Backlog can't be done or shouldn't be done in the order laid out, the Product Owner's decision about the ordering of the Product Backlog is final and everyone - including the Developers - need to respect their decisions.

09:59 pm February 27, 2023

Product Backlog refinement is the art and science of de-risking Sprint Planning, so issues like this do not arise. 

It sounds as though this item is not ready. Why not perform a spike investigation, as part of refinement, to better understand the likely value of the item? Is there a quick experiment of some kind which might be conducted?

05:51 am March 2, 2023

Amazing information! We are real estate development company. But in despite of this I read your websites content on daily basis. I really enjoyed this thread and discussions by the people

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.