Skip to main content

Attending Retros

Last post 12:19 pm March 28, 2023 by Nicholas Gabrichidze
5 replies
07:47 pm March 14, 2023

I'm a PO in a small company, we have 2 scrum teams. I have been attending the Retros as a viewer at times, other times, as a facilitator. The scrum team knows me well.

Is it okay to attend retros for other teams if the company is small and there is a lot of work overlap?

07:48 pm March 14, 2023

sorry, meant to add - I have been attending the other team's Retros as a viewer when I am not facilitating them.

12:17 am March 15, 2023

Have they asked for you to be there?

03:25 pm March 16, 2023

It it is work overlap, then the Sprint Review would be better for you to attend because that is where the work is discussed. The Retrospective is for the team to focus on themselves and improve their ability to function as a team.  Outsiders may inhibit the discussions.  Also, the team having the Retrospective are the ones that can answer your question.  It is their event and only they can decide if you are welcome. 

02:29 am March 28, 2023

It seems you are the Product Owner for both the teams. Sprint Retrospective is a Scrum event. The Product Owner is a part of the Scrum team and should attend Sprint Retrospective for both the teams.

12:19 pm March 28, 2023

If you are NOT the product owner of the Scrum team(even within same company) you can only attend when you are invited.

If you are product owner for many teams, you might have to consider if you have enough recourses to serve all of them

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.