Skip to main content

Scrum in Project Based Development

Last post 06:54 pm April 3, 2023 by Gulshan Negi
5 replies
04:22 am March 28, 2023

Hi,

I would like to get some advices from the awesome Scrum Masters/Practitioners here, on how to adopt Scrum in Project Based Development, where no Product Owners, they have Business Analysts and Business Users to define the requirements. And the deliveries not in each Sprint. If you haven't experience it maybe you can share articles that might help. 

Thank you.

05:07 pm March 28, 2023

Who actually wants Scrum to be implemented in that organization, and is in a position to change the situation you have described so better outcomes will be achieved?

06:12 pm March 28, 2023

I don't see why Scrum wouldn't be a good fit for a project-centric organization. It sounds like your Business Analyst is a good fit for the accountabilities of the Product Owner. However, the organization would need to accept the other aspects of Scrum, like iterative and incremental development. If the organization doesn't perceive the problems that Scrum tries to solve as problems, then the framework would add overhead.

10:31 pm March 28, 2023

As usual, I agree with everything that @Ian and @Thomas says.  But, also as usual, I'll add a little bit of my own opinion.

Do you have Products at your company or do you contract to other companies to make modifications to their systems?  Are the problems you are trying to address complex and subject to rapid change? 

Those questions are ones I always ask when someone approaches me to know how to implement Scrum.  Based on those answer I delve further to help them determine if trying to implement Scrum is even necessary.  Scrum does not make everything better.  It doesn't fit in all situations.  Like @Thomas said, it could be adding unnecessary overhead thus going against the lean thinking that Scrum is based upon.

So before you get advice from us on how to do this, first find out if there is a need for it.  Find out if the organization is willing to change to support Scrum.  Find out what problems you are facing and trying to solve by introducing Scrum.  Then come back to us and give us an update. We will be much better suited to give advice with more information. 

BTW, the questions that all of us have asked are introducing you to the other premise of Scrum.  Empiricism is core to Scrum's success.  Empiricism is a philosophy that advocates there is no inherent knowledge and all knowledge is gained by learning from experience.  A simple explanation of empiricism is "Do something, inspect the outcome, adjust if necessary, repeat".  You asked a question.  Now inspect the outcome of your question and adjust if necessary.  Continue and learn from the process. 

09:35 pm March 29, 2023

"I would like to get some advices from the awesome Scrum Masters/Practitioners here, on how to adopt Scrum in Project Based Development, where no Product Owners, they have Business Analysts and Business Users to define the requirements. And the deliveries not in each Sprint. If you haven't experience it maybe you can share articles that might help. "

I may cause the flame  and hate of Scrum theoretics here, but best way to act in such circumstance(assuming it brings profit) is to stop doing Scrum and adopt other Agile methodology like Extreme Programming, Lean, or at least Srumban

09:10 am April 1, 2023

Hello this is Gulshan Negi

Well, I am not a Scrum master however in my recent search I found some results that can help you, means I found some article that can help you to do what you are looking for.

1. Scrum without a Product Owner by Agile Alliance

2 .How to use Scrum without a Product Owner by Agile Sherpas

3. Scrum in a Project-Based Environment by Scrum.org

Thanks

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.