Skip to main content

Gamification techniques and Scrum

Last post 01:27 pm May 16, 2023 by Harshavardhan Chinchore
3 replies
07:37 am May 12, 2023

Hello scrum practitioners, 

Wanted to know your opinion if use of gamification techniques by scrum teams in in according to the rules of scrum. 

Although tempting, but I don't think it is. Reason being, I feel that with any external motivation like rewards, points etc. . team might start focusing on winning the reward, rather than the commitments  to goals (sprint, product or DOD).

I don't have any empirical evidence for my statements above , hence wanted to confirm my understanding or hear from anyone who has tried to implement it in their teams. 

Any advice or feedback would be highly appreciated. 

P.S : I've tried searching for this topic on the forum but couldn't find a relevant thread.  

12:34 pm May 12, 2023

My personal experience is that if successful Scrum team does not receive any material benefit from the material value they help to create for organization who sponsors Scrum, they wil inevitably loose motivation. 

Unless they are motivated by fear(of being fired usually) or some passion, but its rare.

05:35 am May 15, 2023

... team might start focusing on winning rather than the commitments to goals ...

I agree with you, but I also have no real data to support the thinking, but I feel any gaming might have short term gains that is difficult to sustain. Some fun games now and then probably ok. 

Personally I favour the Agile concept of decentralise decision making or empowerment and having a purpose etc.     

01:27 pm May 16, 2023

thanks Nicholas and Pierre for your inputs. 

@Nicholas : By points, I mean there are ways which team adopt to include competition within team itself and reward the winners with points. It need not be monetary reward, but induce a sense of winning a competition, which further motivates the team to be winner. 

I think this is short sighted gain at the cost of something more meaningful, that is finding ways of faster value delivery. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.