Skip to main content

Advantages & Disadvantages of have Anonymous Retrospective.

Last post 07:00 pm June 15, 2023 by HARIHARA SUBRAMANIAM SALEM CHANDRASEKARAN
6 replies
11:52 am June 10, 2023

What are the Advantages & Disadvantages of have Anonymous Retrospective.

What does Scrum.org have to say about having Retro's anonymous or not?

05:32 pm June 12, 2023

I think this area needs some filling in regarding my scrum education. What is anonymous retrospective exactly, and how does it work?

05:57 pm June 12, 2023

Scrum has nothing to say about whether or not the Sprint Retrospective should be anonymous. What is missing for me in the question is why the Scrum Team wants this event to be anonymous. Might this be covering up other issues?

In most cases, there are few advantages if any - a loss of collaboration, transparency, and consensus building will be difficult if at all possible if Scrum Team members can't get together in a Scrum event.

06:36 pm June 12, 2023

I agree with @Chris. I had a team once that wanted to have anonymous retrospectives.  It caused more problems than added benefit.  For one, because everyone tried to be anonymous, the topics of discussion suggested were extremely vague. And when someone asked for clarification, no one would provide any because it would do away with the anonymity. We tried it 3 times and then the team finally spoke up and said "this sucks".  We never tried it again.

The point of the retrospective is so that everyone can openly discuss topics and come together for suggested changes or opportunities. I have found it helpful to share the "Prime Directive" for retrospectives with teams when they start up or have difficulties with the Retrospective. I honestly do not know the origin of this but have found it useful.

Regardless of what we discover, we understand and truly believe that everyone did the best job they could, given what they knew at the time, their skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand.

07:21 pm June 12, 2023

What are the Advantages & Disadvantages of have Anonymous Retrospective.

If team members are unable to collaborate freely and openly with each other in a Sprint Retrospective, what are the chances of them doing so during the Sprint itself?

09:43 am June 15, 2023

I suggest reviewing the Scrum Values with the team, especially "Openness".

Per Scrum Guide: "The Scrum Team and its stakeholders are open about the work and the challenges"

10:21 am June 15, 2023

The purpose of going anonymous matters the most. 

Is it killing the trust and openness? Then it is anti scrum

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.