Skip to main content

Can sprint planning take place if half of the team are on annual leave?

Last post 03:57 pm June 28, 2023 by Nicholas Gabrichidze
3 replies
12:56 pm June 27, 2023

I have a situation where I have 2 scrum teams. Some of the team are based in Slovakia and as such there is a Bank Holiday which falls on a sprint planning day. 

In your opinion what would be the best approach? to move the sprint planning out by a day or hold the sprint planning and then allocate the work to the members of the team to work on when they return?

08:02 am June 28, 2023

If the entire Scrum Team is missing the Sprint planning will not serve its purpose.

What is the level of dependency between the two Scrum Teams? If they are highly independent it might make sense to start planning with the 1st Team and continue the next day when the 2nd team is back in the office. However, this very much depends on the circumstances, such as the level of your Backlog organization, refinement, the dependency between the teams etc. So, it might make more sense just to wait until the 2nd team is back. 

If you are the SM for those teams, I recommend working with the Scrum Teams to figure it out. 

10:31 am June 28, 2023

My advice is to be quite clear about whether you have two teams, or one team half of which is in Slovakia. Without this transparency accountabilities and commitments will be compromised, and there can be no Sprint Planning at all.

03:57 pm June 28, 2023

In general when Scrum event falls into some national holliday, it is obvious to have it next working day. 

If team members are on vacation is another thing.

Should Sprint planning take place immedeately after Sprint retrospective, even if some team members are absent for whatever reason? Yes it should, in a same way like Daily Scrum takes place even if few team members are stuck in the traffic jam and cant come.

Team should consider absence of the members and plan the next Sprint accordingly, adjusting to the reduced size,  estimating efforts. 

The issue should be addressed at retrospective.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.