Skip to main content

Things to take care of at PSM 1 assessment

Last post 01:22 pm November 10, 2016 by Pratosh Kumar
2 replies
07:48 am November 8, 2016

Hello,
I passed the PSM 1 assessment last Sunday with 96.3%. The experiences shared by people on this forum played a major role in my achievement. I have been regularly visiting this site for last couple of months. That's when I thought of taking the PSM 1 assessment. The experiences shared on this forum are related to the pattern of question. Those are very helpful. After taking the assessment, I feel, one thing that would have helped me was knowing the things to take care of at the time of taking the assessment. No body have talked about this or at least I did not come across any discussion like that. So I thought of sharing my experience. It will be helpful especially for slow internet connections.

Here it is:

1. Ideally the time to answer 80 questions is 60 min. But realistically you have only 45 minutes. Here is why - Each question takes 8 to 15 seconds to load after clicking 'submit-forward' button. In my case few questions took 20 seconds. Assuming average load time as 12 seconds, it would take 12*80 = 960 seconds i.e. 16 minutes. Please note that I was using a broadband connection (4 MBPS).

2. Do NOT rely much on book marking the question to review later. If you don't know the answer and want to book mark it to review later then do so by selecting the best choice. Don't leave any question unanswered even if you don’t know the answer. If you leave it unanswered to answer it later and somehow if you don’t get time to answer it then it will be treated as incorrect.

3. Keep a pen and notepad to note down the book marked question numbers. There are two benefits.
First, the website takes time in loading the tick mark symbol (which indicates the book mark) against each question. In my case it took around 10 seconds to load the book mark indicator after loading the questions link. So if you have question numbers you would be able to save this 10 second for every book marked question. Also, every time you open a question using book marked question link, you need to go to book mark list again and then only you would be able to go to the next book marked question.
Second benefit of noting the questions to be reviewed on note book is that it will help in remembering level of review required. Say for example you are 80% sure about question number 10 but still want to review if time permits, put a single tick mark against it, and you are 50% sure about question number 15, put two tick marks against it. This will ensure that questions with two tick marks will get higher priority at the time of review. Something like creating a priority list for review.

4. Don't panic if you take proportionally more time for initial few questions. I remember answering only 20 questions in first 18 minutes. To me it seems like in the beginning I was a bit too careful and read every question slowly, may be word by word, in a bid to not miss any key word but once I felt question were mostly familiar, I gained confidence and picked up pace. And I was able to answer all questions in 52 minutes.

One more thing I would like to share is that I had gone through the Mikhail Lapshin’s quiz. Questions are great but unfortunately I got the wrong impression that the actual assessment will also be same manner regarding display of questions and it will be easy to navigate from one book marked question to another. It was not. The actual assessment shows the questions list in a separate page and to go from one question to another you will always have to come back to the questions list page.

So As an assessment taker I want to draw Scrum.org’s attention to making the navigation easy so that people with low speed connection don’t get discriminated.

Ian Mitchell’s posts provided a good understanding of the Scrum. Thank You.
I will share my experience regarding the type of questions some other time.

Thanks,
Pratosh

Anonymous
09:02 pm November 8, 2016

Hello Pratosh,

Thank you for your interest in Scrum.org and for sharing your experience and insights. Also, congratulations on achieving your PSM I certification!

We are sorry to learn that you experienced 8 to 15 second question load times; while some load time is inevitable, 15 second load times are not the typical assessment experience. To reduce the possibility of slow loading times, or other technical issues from occurring during a Professional-level assessment session, we highly encourage all individuals to review our Support Center article listing our technical recommendations. This article can be viewed here: http://bit.ly/2eBkvyq

Thank you again for providing your assessment experience and suggestions, Pratosh. Your recommendation regarding the navigation and bookmarking functionalities have been noted for our consideration. Your post provides some helpful suggestions that we believe future assessment takers can benefit from (we especially liked the idea of using a pen and notepad to indicate the priority of importance for bookmarked questions).

Congratulations again on achieving PSM I certification and thank you for sharing your experience, Pratosh. Enjoy your day!

01:22 pm November 10, 2016

Thanks you for attention and quick response. Taking the assessment was a good and exciting experience overall.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.