Skip to main content

Sprint Review - Formal event but an informal meeting as per Scrum guide

Last post 04:42 pm November 15, 2016 by Chandra Mohan Inukolanu
3 replies
03:39 pm November 12, 2016

Hi,

I am new to Scrum and Agile, my understanding is limited on this subject. Please help me with below question:

On the scrum guide, Sprint review is prescribed as a "Formal" event for Inspection and Adaptation along with Daily Scrum, Sprint Review and Sprint Retrospective but the actual event in sprint which takes place in the form of a meeting with stakeholders is considered as "Informal Meeting".

For me, these statements on the guide seem to look confusing and inconsistent. Please help me on what could be the underlying thinking or reasons behind authors describing these differently.

Thank you.

Chandra Mohan

08:05 pm November 14, 2016

Chandra,

The Sprint Review is identified as a "formal" event in Scrum (i.e. - an official, re-occurring ceremony) in support of empirical study (inspection, adaptation).

The statement in the Guide about being "informal" pertains to how it should be conducted. It should be facilitated in a way that promotes feedback and collaboration, as opposed to a rigid status-like approach with "sign-off" as the goal.

Hope this helps.

09:47 pm November 14, 2016

In Scrum, a formal event can be conducted as an informal meeting.

The choice of words in the Scrum Guide is usually quite significant, and it pays to study them closely.

04:42 pm November 15, 2016

Thanks for answering my question Ian.

Chandra

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.