Skip to main content

Scrum Masters hiring

Last post 01:12 pm January 24, 2017 by Ton Martens
9 replies
09:11 am November 27, 2016

Hello everybody,
Hope you are doing well. I need a little advice. I have lately been pulled by my managers to play a role in hiring new Scrum Masters. I have been unsuccessful in recognising imposters. Some of the Scrum Masters claim to be experienced but it turns out that they do not have a single day of experience. You as an expert how would approach a Scrum Master to make sure they have appropriate experience for the role. I did put some questions about the estimation and events, but it did not prove their experience. Any advice on how to catch this little missing demonstrable experience from newly CSM candidates? Thank you in advance. Kind regards, Danail

08:56 pm November 28, 2016

Danail,

My suggestion would be to ask potential candidates if they know the three Scrum components(transparency, inspection, adaptation) and the 5 Scrum values (focus, openness, respect, courage, commitment), and can discuss how Scrum supports each one (perhaps with real-life examples).

A true Scrum Master will find it difficult to be brief when discussing these topics. Good luck.

09:48 pm November 28, 2016

Try open ended questions or statements, e.g.

"How is the Scrum process managed?"
"Tell me about servant leadership. How does it fit in?"
"Tell me about organizational change."

09:52 pm November 28, 2016

This question can also be useful:

"Is there anything in the Scrum Guide you disagree with or think is controversial?"

06:18 am November 29, 2016

There are few CRUM Masters around that have worked in real Scrum environments. Most were forced to work in hybrid environments and would never have been able to apply the Scrum Master duties to the fullest.

If your organization is one of the few that does real Scrum, then you can add questions of how the traditional project manager duties are handled between the Scrum Master and Product Owner.

If your organization employs the Scrum Master as the Project Manager (the Dual Role), then you're not really doing Scrum, and the few real Scrum Masters need to know because they don't see their role as a Combi and would rather not take the job.

09:21 pm November 29, 2016

Hi Danail,

1. Ask for referrals. If he has experience there are people who witnessed it.
2. Ask about difficulties he encountered and how he went about them. Come back to those difficulties later once or twice and look for inconsistencies.

Michael

10:27 am December 5, 2016

There are a many lists with questions for interviewing Scrum masters that check a solid understanding of the values, principles and the overall theory. Here are some examples:
https://age-of-product.com/38-scrum-master-interview-questions-to-avoid…
http://lmsgoncalves.com/2014/09/08/40-scrum-master-interview-questions/

I personally find really useful the following two points:
1. For each question of your choice ask for the real-life example from his/her past experience.
2. Do a role playing of some difficult situations to see how the candidate will coach you.

10:30 pm December 6, 2016

I'd ask questions that are related more related to the experience rather than theoretical knowledge, something like:

What difficulties did you experience implementing Scrum within your organization?

Describe the most impactful thing you have done to improve your team.

08:30 am December 7, 2016

What about having the candidats observe one of your Daily Scrum, and then ask for feedback and feedforward ?

01:12 pm January 24, 2017

Posted By Timothy Baffa on 28 Nov 2016 08:56 PM
My suggestion would be to ask potential candidates if they know the three Scrum components(transparency, inspection, adaptation) and the 5 Scrum values (focus, openness, respect, courage, commitment), and can discuss how Scrum supports each one (perhaps with real-life examples).

I would expect that a (certified) Scrum Master without experience would have learned these things by heart before going into an interview... ;)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.