Skip to main content

Is this prep for PSM I sufficient?

Last post 07:08 pm December 31, 2016 by Conor McMeel
6 replies
05:40 pm December 28, 2016

I did a 2 day scrum mastering course 2 weeks ago and I'm currently on chapter 7 of:

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Scrum-Practical-Addison-Wesley-Signatu…

I also have about 8 years scrum experience as a software developer.

My question now is, is it sufficient to finish the remaining 13 chapters of this book and then do sample questions? Is there value in finishing this book? Or should I change tact?

I want to take the exam early January as I'm currently not working and have time to study.

05:48 pm December 28, 2016

Here are the chapters:

Part I. Core Concepts
Chapter 2. Scrum Framework
Chapter 3. Agile Principles
Chapter 4. Sprints
Chapter 5. Requirements and User Stories
Chapter 6. Product Backlog
Chapter 7. Estimation and Velocity
Chapter 8. Technical Debt

Part II. Roles
Chapter 9. Product Owner
Chapter 10. ScrumMaster
Chapter 11. Development Team
Chapter 12. Scrum Team Structures
Chapter 13. Managers

Part III. Planning
Chapter 14. Scrum Planning Principles
Chapter 15. Multilevel Planning
Chapter 16. Portfolio Planning
Chapter 17. Envisioning (Product Planning)
Chapter 18. Release Planning (Longer-Term Planning)

Part IV. Sprinting
Chapter 19. Sprint Planning
Chapter 20. Sprint Execution
Chapter 21. Sprint Review
Chapter 22. Sprint Retrospective
Chapter 23. The Path Forward

06:27 pm December 28, 2016

Hello Conor

I cannot comment on that book as I haven't read it. However, I suspect that what you need to do is simpler than what may be contained in the book. In short:

1. Read the scrum guide. I usually advise students on my courses to read it every day for seven days prior to taking the assessment.
2. Take the scrum open assessment and the developer open assessment and keep taking them until you can score 100% in five minutes or less
3. Learn about burndown charts : http://webgate.ltd.uk/burndown-chart/

For a fuller explanation, go here : http://webgate.ltd.uk/how-to-pass-the-professional-scrum-master-i-psm-i…

Good luck!

--
Derek

06:32 pm December 28, 2016

I was under the impression that knowing the scrum guide inside out was imperative but that the only way to know it in good depth is to read a book on Scrum to get examples of what the guide details. But happy to be proven wrong as I've had enough of that book.

Why did you mention burn-down charts? Do they come up in the exam a lot?

01:49 am December 29, 2016

> I was under the impression that knowing the scrum guide inside out was imperative

Correct.

> but that the only way to know it in good depth is to read a book on Scrum to get
> examples of what the guide details.

If I was you, I'd go through whatever books I happened to have, and do pretty much the opposite. I'd look for examples of things which the guide *doesn't* mention. I would know that they are not core to an understanding of Scrum and then ask myself why. Do they represent valid choices for implementing the Scrum Framework, or do they contradict it in some way and ought to be considered suspect?

08:18 am December 29, 2016

Hello Conor

When I took the PSM I assessment, I noted that there were four questions related to the burndown chart. The burndown chart is no longer mentioned in the scrum guide, hence why I advised that it was studied separately.

--
Derek

07:08 pm December 31, 2016

Posted By Derek Davidson on 29 Dec 2016 08:18 AM
Hello Conor

When I took the PSM I assessment, I noted that there were four questions related to the burndown chart. The burndown chart is no longer mentioned in the scrum guide, hence why I advised that it was studied separately.

--
Derek

Thanks a lot.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.