Skip to main content

Can a student use Google search and Scrum Guide PDF, during the exam?

Last post 02:34 pm April 22, 2022 by KHALID SABOURI
11 replies
05:59 pm February 2, 2017

Can a student use Google search and Scrum Guide PDF, during the exam?

I saw that some users in other forums mentioned that Scrum exam is an open-book exam and you can have your guide open and use Google search when taking exam. But the posts were old, so I thought I will confirm it in this forum.

What is allowed and not allowed to use during the exam?

09:49 pm February 2, 2017

> Can a student use Google search and Scrum Guide PDF, during the exam?

Not really. Don't expect to have enough time to google or to turn a page, and still less time to process whatever you are reading and apply it to a question at hand. You'll only have time to use and apply what's in your head.

11:20 pm February 2, 2017

I have attended the exam on 31st. I did not have time to get to the Scrum Guide. Also going to google search might confuse our decision to the right/wrong answer and bring down the confidence. Like Ian mentioned it's only the knowledge of Scrum Guide. Thorough understanding of Scrum Guide. While doing the mock tests I have practised to understand why I am choosing any right option and why others wrong. That helped me.

Here is the link for more details: https://www.scrum.org/Assessments/Professional-Scrum-Master-Assessments…

02:42 am February 3, 2017

Thank you for your responses! :)

04:21 am February 5, 2017

To add on to the above given answers and to directly answer your question; yes you can Google, search any book or document since scrum.org doesn't specifically mention that in the instructions before exam. I have to mention that I didn't thoroughly read the terms and conditions and if it was mentioned somewhere deep in those documents then I can't really attest to it.

The only problem you might run into if you plan to search is that you might not have enough time on your hand to do so. But there is a strategy if you really want to do so. I'll try to be direct here:

1. Try to attempt the test on a touch screen device (laptop or tablet) as it saves some 5 minutes over all.
2. Blaze though the test not taking more than 15 sec/question. This is of course only possible if you have taken several mock tests ( open assesment, lapshin, etc. ) scoring 95% plus every time. Since about 50-60 questions will either be exact same or similar, this shouldn't take you more than 25-30 minutes.
3. Bookmark the questions that seem hard, have doubt about. ( don't waste more than 10 sec on such questions). You'll know right away by reading first sentence that you haven't come across this questions ever; bookmark it.
4. Now you should have plenty time (20 min at least) in your hand to search, ctrl+f through docs or ponder on these questions.

I recently took PSM I and scored 92.5%. I've tested this strategy on European Scrum mock test and it works proportionally but i don't recommend it since I am not 100% certain about Scrum.org's terms and condition.
Considering they neither mention it in the instructions before exams nor have anything that prevents you from doing so, you can do at if it suits your style of preparation. I didn't personally follow it as after a rigorous preparation I didn't really need it.

Disclaimer: I neither encourage or claim any responsibility for anyone who follows the above advice. Its purely for informational purpose and doesn't encourage cheating of any sort.

04:19 pm February 7, 2017

Posted By Manvender Singh on 05 Feb 2017 04:21 AM
To add on to the above given answers and to directly answer your question; yes you can Google, search any book or document since scrum.org doesn't specifically mention that in the instructions before exam. I have to mention that I didn't thoroughly read the terms and conditions and if it was mentioned somewhere deep in those documents then I can't really attest to it.

The only problem you might run into if you plan to search is that you might not have enough time on your hand to do so. But there is a strategy if you really want to do so. I'll try to be direct here:

1. Try to attempt the test on a touch screen device (laptop or tablet) as it saves some 5 minutes over all.
2. Blaze though the test not taking more than 15 sec/question. This is of course only possible if you have taken several mock tests ( open assesment, lapshin, etc. ) scoring 95% plus every time. Since about 50-60 questions will either be exact same or similar, this shouldn't take you more than 25-30 minutes.
3. Bookmark the questions that seem hard, have doubt about. ( don't waste more than 10 sec on such questions). You'll know right away by reading first sentence that you haven't come across this questions ever; bookmark it.
4. Now you should have plenty time (20 min at least) in your hand to search, ctrl+f through docs or ponder on these questions.

I recently took PSM I and scored 92.5%. I've tested this strategy on European Scrum mock test and it works proportionally but i don't recommend it since I am not 100% certain about Scrum.org's terms and condition.
Considering they neither mention it in the instructions before exams nor have anything that prevents you from doing so, you can do at if it suits your style of preparation. I didn't personally follow it as after a rigorous preparation I didn't really need it.

Disclaimer: I neither encourage or claim any responsibility for anyone who follows the above advice. Its purely for informational purpose and doesn't encourage cheating of any sort.

Thank you for the tips, this is very useful!
Did you take the Developer and Nexus open tests, before taking the exam too, or only the product owner and scrum master?

06:37 pm February 7, 2017

I did take developer and Nexus test once just to see the content, and I didn't score more than 75% in both. It doesn't help to take these test as hardly 2-3 questions might come that too with twisted wording! So just take both tests once and don't get demoralized with the results. But definitely give Nexus guide a read, its short and shouldn't take much time. There may be some questions involving multiple team concepts !

03:40 am February 8, 2017

I will not recommend that even if someone has got time to do so.

In professional world there is something called ETHICS and we have to keep that alive

Also we should be clear about the purpose behind taking the exam.

10:11 am October 22, 2021

Comment on Professional Scrum Master, I find it wasted time and money. It requires correctly answering 85% of the questions. Very difficult for the benefit obtained.

09:04 pm October 22, 2021

This response is my opinion and in no way reflects that of scrum.org or any of their affiliates.

The purpose of the test is to show you truly know the material.  If you feel like the effort is too difficult, I honestly would rather you didn't share the same certification that I have received. 

11:39 am October 28, 2021

I advise my students that the assessment is open book. This is because the assessment is trying to assess your  knowledge of Scrum, not your memory.

That said, you only have 45 seconds per question. You won't have time to google for an answer. So, I provide a Scrum Aide Memoire which contains vital details of Scrum on a single sheet of A4 (US Letter) paper. Use the link to join my mailing list if you'd like a free copy.

Feel free to have a printed copy of the Scrum Guide or access the online version of the Scrum Guide, if you think that will help but again, remember the time constraint.

Good luck.

01:23 pm April 21, 2022

MERCI

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.