Skip to main content

Is it possible to implement scrum

Last post 07:25 pm October 9, 2023 by Rohan Sharma
6 replies
02:19 pm September 4, 2023

Is it possible to implement scrum when the two levels of management do not want refinement or retrospective?  The user stories are not well written (to be diplomatic).  The manager thinks the dev team should, "be patient" although it's been a year.   During planning there is no discussion of the requirements, user stories are just moved over to the status, "active".  As predictable, user stories roll over every sprint.    The dev team does not have the right to reject a user story for lack of information.  The expectation is that dev will work with the business during the sprint to define any missing requirements.   There are only three developers and the VP doesn't want the most talented developer involved in any meetings or ceremonies because, "he does not like him."   The manager (who is also my manager)  clearly has no scrum experience but when I ask him if he understands a specific concept he says yes every time. So I have no opportunity to coach him.  All tickets are opened as user stories, so I cant determine if any defects are tied to a prior release.  I don't find it possible to implement scrum, but I feel stuck in this position because I am still being treated for cancer and cannot start a new job under this condition.  I've decided to take the attitude of if I can get through these challenges than I will be a better scrum master in the long run.  Am I being delusional or is it possible to implement scrum under these conditions?  Can I work around these parameters?

07:29 pm September 7, 2023

Am I being delusional or is it possible to implement scrum under these conditions?

Not really, but the situation you describe is common enough, and with the right attitude is a crucible within which good Scrum Masters are often forged.

Can I work around these parameters?

Should you? Is it your company to change? Find out who in senior leadership is unhappy with current outcomes, and extend a hand to them. If they make change a priority, be as ready as you can be to make it yours.

09:24 am September 8, 2023

Why did the company hire the Scrum Master or what was in the job description actually?

09:43 pm October 2, 2023

Dear Karen, your story has really moved me.

Your health is a significant factor here, particularly as you're undergoing treatment for cancer. The stress from a dysfunctional work environment could seriously affect your well-being. While having a "can-do" attitude is generally positive, it's crucial to weigh this against the potential health risks involved.

You're facing a double challenge: one, dealing with your health condition and its physical and emotional toll, and two, dealing with an unsupportive work environment that's far from ideal for implementing Scrum. It's a lot to handle simultaneously.

You're not delusional for thinking that overcoming these hurdles could make you a better Scrum Master in the long run. Experience gained in challenging situations is invaluable. However, ensuring your challenges aren't detrimental to your health is equally important. 

Could you implement Scrum? It's possible, but with limitations and not in its pure form. Given your ambition in the Scrum field, this could provide you with some useful, albeit challenging, experience.

Some practical hints:

Prioritize self-care. Make time for exercise, sufficient sleep, and activities that bring you joy and energy. Remember, you control your reaction, not your boss's actions.

Chances are your boss may not be open to hearing feedback about your situation. Skip feedback and make specific requests. Choose a good time to ask for specific resources and support you need, outlining how it benefits both you and the organization.

Lean on your friends: share challenges with friends, family, or professionals who can offer emotional relief and practical advice. Before going to Human Resources, investigate their reputation.

Prepare for job search as soon as possible.

If you decide to stay and try to implement what you can of Scrum, continually assess the impact on your health and well-being. Make sure it aligns with your long-term goals, both personal and professional.

take care,

06:05 am October 5, 2023

Yes, it is possible to implement Scrum under the conditions you describe, but it will be very challenging. You will need to be creative and resourceful, and you will need to be able to build consensus and buy-in from your manager and other stakeholders.

08:28 am October 6, 2023

Where is the product owner in this picture? Many of the problems you describe are their responsibility.

is it possible to implement scrum under these conditions?

No. When organizations or teams start their transformation, they often do this without preparation. Before they can be agile or start Scrum, some preconditions must be met.

07:33 am October 9, 2023

Implementing Scrum in such challenging conditions can be difficult, but not impossible. It may require a gradual approach. Focus on small improvements, educate the team on Scrum benefits, and demonstrate its value through small wins. Emphasize communication and collaboration. Your resilience can turn challenges into learning opportunities and pave the way for positive change over time.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.