Skip to main content

Finding SM roles - my chicken and egg problem

Last post 11:29 am February 7, 2017 by Shankara Srinivasan
4 replies
12:30 pm February 6, 2017

Hello,

I would appreciate any pointers on how a freelancer could land his first Scrum Master role.

I am a freelance software engineer who has performed a number of roles building and shipping software over 12+ years. The more I learnt about scrum, the more I've wanted to transition to a scrum master as I found resonance with the philosophy. To this end, I got PSM-I certified with an excellent score hoping to signal my understanding of scrum.

I have tried and failed to get my ex-employers to adopt scrum, and had to contend with using elements of agile in waterfall environments. So while many of my tasks mapped to an SM's responsibility, I never had " scrum master" as an official job description. Recruiters don't seem consider me for SM roles as I don't have prior SM experience.Widening my search throughout UK/EU (as a UK citizen) and being willing to take a pay cut to be an intern/junior scrum master haven't helped. Would love to hear thoughts on what I am missing.

Thanks in advance for your time and for any tips.

06:29 pm February 6, 2017

It may be necessary to take an "agile PM" role in the first instance. That's what I had to do. I carefully documented the shortcomings of such a role in my CV. This analysis opened the door to more credible Scrum Master positions.

08:51 am February 7, 2017

Transforming your current/ex-employer to Scrum may be your first assignment. Don't think that the new employer is going to be easy one, you will face the same challenges so start your journey from wherever you are now.

11:27 am February 7, 2017

Thanks for your thoughts. It's encouraging to see that even veteran agile practitioners started with similar challenges. Not sure if the supply of PMs with scrum master experience is greater than current demand, as I've been told that lack of SM experience is the reason I am not considered for some agile PM roles that have a waterfall/scrum cross over.

btw, I am a big fan of your scrum shack(https://sites.google.com/site/wicmitchell/) - it helped me massively for my PSM-I exams and I've enjoyed your "Agile Development in practice" too. Thanks again.

11:29 am February 7, 2017

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, transforming ex-employers or potential clients is harder than usual since I am freelancer and the remit of my contracts would be to follow my employer's preferred delivery methods. Of course this is something I shall keep in mind.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.