Skip to main content

Leader(s) in a team

Last post 11:20 am October 6, 2023 by Oliver Flaggl
6 replies
03:51 pm September 19, 2023

Hello all,

How would you define a "leader"?

How many leaders would you see in a team?

Thank you very much in advance for your insights!

06:32 pm September 19, 2023

My advice is not to discern leaders in a team at all, only leadership, which anyone can demonstrate.

07:02 pm September 19, 2023

How would you define a "leader"?

There are different leadership styles. How would you define a true leader who serves (aka servant-leadership)?

07:26 pm September 19, 2023

Leaders are the ones:

• that do the least amount of work
  • help others become better at what they do
  • want the team to be successful
  • encourages team success over individual contribution
  • is willing to do any job that is needed for the team to be successful

This individual may not be the person with the most experience in the job discipline. Leadership is a skill that has to be developed just like the skill to write code in <insert the most recent hot software language>.

How many leaders would you see in a team?  Why does there have to be a limit if the team is being successful on a consistent basis?

08:52 am September 20, 2023

Thank you all for your insights and for the interesting conversation.

I agree with you that there should be not limit, every leader should care of rest of the team (or the other team members). I think it is a stance which emerge naturally, without having to conveying that at all.

What about the Product Owner? In some way I see he is a leader as well, in the sense that he defines a direction of the product for the whole team, giving a purpose and being inspirational.

What do you think?

02:16 pm September 20, 2023

hi) im same opinion have  there should be not limit!!

11:20 am October 6, 2023

In a Scrum team, leadership is shared across all three roles, with the PO and SM being more explicit leaders. FWIW: Their roles were created with Toyota's chief engineer in mind.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.