Skip to main content

Demo'ing incomplete stories

Last post 08:12 pm February 10, 2017 by Ian Mitchell
6 replies
11:54 am February 10, 2017

We've reached the end of our sprint, and some stories are unfinished. The team wishes to include one unfinished item in the Review in order to get feedback on it. As a Scrum Master, I have advised them that we should only demo completed stories, but the team still wish to show it. I suggested we should call out its unfinished. The PO knows its not shippable but is ok to show it.

Did I take the right approach? What are your thoughts?

01:44 pm February 10, 2017

In theory,
- The Product Owner explains what Product Backlog items have been “Done” and what has not been “Done”.
- The Development Team demonstrates the work that it has “Done” and answers questions about the Increment;.

In this particular case, Dev team seems to be eager to demonstrate unfinished work which I am unsure how will they. They might just be able to state stories which are unfinished. As the PO is OK to hear out, it is good opportunity for Dev team to state unfinished work, however should not lead to discussion or feedback on unfinished stories as it will defeat the purpose of stories. Grooming session would be better idea to discuss unfinished work instead.

01:52 pm February 10, 2017

> We've reached the end of our sprint, and some stories are unfinished. The
> team wishes to include one unfinished item in the Review in order to get
> feedback on it. As a Scrum Master, I have advised them that we should
> only demo completed stories, but the team still wish to show it. I suggested
> we should call out its unfinished. The PO knows its not shippable but is ok to show it.

What reason would you have *not* to elicit feedback, whether it be for work done or only partially completed?

Remember also that a Sprint Review should identify work done, and not yet done.

02:15 pm February 10, 2017

Thanks for the feedback.

@Ian, does it not go against Scrum rules to demo incomplete work?

03:17 pm February 10, 2017

Why do you think it might go against Scrum rules? From what you say, the team are not presenting it as "Done" work but as undone work. The PO knows it is not shippable.

Don't the team try to elicit feedback for their work-in-progress during the Sprint? If not, why not? And if so, why would getting feedback regarding incomplete work suddenly become inadmissible now, in the Sprint Review?

06:48 pm February 10, 2017

Yes they do get feedback and ask questions to the PO during the sprint. PO knows its not shippable. So it's not a no-no in terms of what Scrum guides?

08:12 pm February 10, 2017

As long as Done is observed, and it is made clear to stakeholders what is shippable and what isn't, then there's nothing wrong in eliciting feedback about any work at any point.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.